New pump lost prime.

Sep 21, 2018
Folsom, CA
I returned home after a few days away and noticed the pump (Pentair Intelliflo VSF-Variable Speed) was loud. When I went out to check, it was not priming and repeatedly shutting off and turning back on. The water level is perfect (I have an auto fill), I removed the lid to the pump and applied lube, cleaned the pump basket, restarted and bled air from the filter...still no prime.

I then checked the skimmer basket, it was clean. I have been using a skim-a-round basket to increase flow and create the "Bernoulli Effect" tha last two weeks with no problems. Seemed to work great.

I decided to try swapping baskets with the original and see what happens. The pump primed on the first try. I suppose the skim-a-round might be restricting the flow enough to cause loss of prime when the pump restarts in the morning. It worked fine while I was home. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim,

Does your new pump have the SVRS option?? I suspect not, but if it does that is the reason. The SVRS option will shut the pump off if your next-door neighbor flushes his toilet... :p

Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but any surge in the water pressure will shut the pump off.. on mine, if you vent water out of the top of the filter and close the valve quickly, it will shut the pump off..

Even if you don't have the SVRS option, I would not run the IntelliFlo from anything but a normal skimmer/main drain input..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
I'm not sure about the SVRS option, but I will check. By the way, what is SVRS?:lol::lol:

I've since called the Skim a Round tech and they said it's likely the auto prime function, which starts at max speed and pulling water too fast from the skimmer and getting air in the system. He said to disable auto prime and it should prime fine at the lower speed. Makes sense to me....what do you think?

You can reduce the priming speed of your pump. I use 2400 rpm. You can also set the length of the priming cycle. I do it directly on the ET but you have screenlogic and I would assume it is on one of your pump setup screens.

Jim,

The Safety Vacuum Release System or SVRS, is an option that turns the pump off if the pump even "thinks" someone is trapped on a drain. Not really needed with dual main drains...

I was stupid enough to let my pool builder talk me into this option, which of course costs more.. He just failed to tell me that it is un-adjustable and makes the pump useless if there is any kind of surge in the system..

I think you would recognize the letters if you have this pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.