New pump bids ranging from $1400-$2500

I have old equipment and am interested in a variable speed pump. The bids I received were wildly different and I'm having trouble making sense of what is really required. I asked for a 3hp variable speed pump because that is what I saw on my power company's site with a rebate. I am new to learning about equipment (obviously).

Bid #1: "New Pentair VST 3hp intelliflo" ($1550) Jandy upgrade board ($990) includes labor
Bid #2: "Pentair variable speed 3hp 8 speeds VST 011055 ($1,400) includes labor
Bid #3: "Pentair Inteli-flo 011018, variable speed main filter pump" ($1249) Intelicom interface kit ($442) plus $550 in labor

I don't want any fancy electronics that are not necessary, just a basic system that will work well. Can you please advise me on what seems appropriate in these bids and what seems unnecessary? A picture of my current system attached. I really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Pool equipment.jpg
    Pool equipment.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Pool pump.jpg
    Pool pump.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Pool motor.jpg
    Pool motor.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi! :wave: Welcome to posting on TFP. I see you've been a member for a number of years.

Do you have any automation? What brand name is it? It's usually best to match your pump brand to the automation brand - everything usually just works better that way.

Please add your state to your location. Having just a city makes it difficult to give advice on some issues.

Thank you for the reply! Makes my day! I am home with a 3yr old and husband not able to work on pool so need all the help I can get. Appreciate it.

For automation: I have what looks like a Jandy board outside (based on the well-worn sticker on the metal box) and an Aqualinks inside. What pumps do they typically work best with? I'd really like to avoid that $990 Jandy upgrade board if possible but also want to install a good system for the long term, so am willing to consider it if it is a huge improvement.

If you can post a couple of pics of the Jandy box - outside and inside - one of our members with Jandy equipment maybe be able to advise you on your best path forward.

If it's an older system, it may just need the upgrade board you mentioned. For ease of use, you want the pump to integrate with your automation.

Bid #1: "New Pentair VST 3hp intelliflo" ($1550) Jandy upgrade board ($990) includes labor
Bid #2: "Pentair variable speed 3hp 8 speeds VST 011055 ($1,400) includes labor
Bid #3: "Pentair Inteli-flo 011018, variable speed main filter pump" ($1249) Intelicom interface kit ($442) plus $550 in labor

These are all the same pump. The Pentair "Intelliflo 2 VST". The 011055 is the newer variant of this pump. The 011018 is the older variant. The only difference is something small with the keypad (either the ability to rotate the keypad or to wall mount it -can't remember specifically off of the top of my head). The pump is made so you can program it via it's own keypad, or via automation. If you don't currently have any automation, I don't see why you wouldn't go with Bid #2 since it's the cheapest, and has the newest "trade grade" model...

D,

Bid #1 is selling you the latest IntelliFlo (VST), plus the PCB which will allow your older Jandy automation system to control the pump.

Bid #2 is selling you the latest IntelliFlo (VST), but no way to control the pump from your automation system..

Bid #3 is selling you the older Intelliflo (Still a great pump) but wants you to use 4 relays in your automation system to control the pump, making it a four speed pump instead of a variable speed pump. (This is what the "Interface kit" is for, plus I doubt you have four unused relays in your Jandy)

Of the three bidders, the only one that seems to know exactly what needs to be done is Bidder #1. I would ask him how much you might be able to save if he went with the older IntelliFlo P/N 011018.. Other than a rotatable keypad, there is not a lot of difference between the two pumps. I would make sure he says that the total cost will include the Jandy controlling the pump via the pump's serial cable.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I would find out if your current controller can interface with a Jandy VS pump. It might save you quite a bit of cash.

Thank you. This is so helpful. I currently have the Aqualink RS8 indoor control unit and a Jandy RS2100 outdoor control board. I called Jandy today and was told there is no way to use those controllers with a variable speed pump, and that I would need to replace the board and power center, ideally with the Jandy IQ20RS ($600), which can be used wirelessly from my phone.

Questions:
1) Do you see any downside to getting rid of an indoor control unit entirely and just using an app/internet to control the settings?
2) Is there a page that outlines how to calculate savings from a variable speed pump?

- - - Updated - - -

D,

I would make sure he says that the total cost will include the Jandy controlling the pump via the pump's serial cable.

Can you please educate me more about the serial cable? Is there a way that installers short cut this and save money but it hurts the homeowner?

D,

I have a different automation, but have no inside remotes, everything is done from my PC or tablet...

I should have phrased my response better when I said "I would make sure he says that the total cost will include the Jandy controlling the pump via the pump's serial cable."
What I was trying to say is that the bid should include everything needed to fully run the IntelliFlo pump using your Jandy controller. It looks like it does, but I'm not a Jandy expert.

The IntelliFlo gets power all the time. When controlled by an automation system, instructions are sent to the pump over a small communications cable that is attached to the pump at one end, and to the automation system at the other end. The cable is supplied with the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you on PG&E for electricity/gas?

If so you should make sure you check out any available rebates PG&E offers on other sizes of VS pumps. Looks like they offer $100 off several models here

That saves you a little $$$$. We use our Jandy VS 2HP pump at 1000rpm for most of our cleaning and SWG chlorine generation. We have it programmed faster for our therapy jets and some other functions at higher speed - but the 2HP is plenty for our pool which is similar in size to yours.

On the automation questions - I use my phone, tablets, and even a desktop computer for all of the control of our pool. It is much easier to me than the handheld Jandy PDA setup. If you use a smartphone, or tablet, for anything else then it should be very easy to control your system with the iAqualink app on one of those devices. There is also the brand new TFP Pool Math app to use to keep track of your pool testing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.