New pump arrived today

"Wally" arrived today. Pretty slick little gizmo.

WP_20160417_13_43_51_Pro_zpspzcclc7i.jpg

Hooked up all by himself, the new 4500 gph pump makes him do wheelies. So I built Franken-valve out of PVC (Legos for grown-ups if you ask me -- I love PVC and zip ties!) so I can run Wally, the normal return, and Richard's water cannon all at the same time. By fiddling with the valves, I can get Wally zipping right along and still have decent circulation on the surface.

WP_20160417_18_12_34_Pro_zpscsevv5sq.jpg

WP_20160417_18_12_53_Pro_zpst151eadk.jpg

The water is still pretty greenish and murky -- I just opened it up yesterday.

I got one of those Intex pool cleaners last year. It works very well on a strong pump. Tried running it on a separate, smaller pump salvaged from my old Intex pool, but it was not sufficient. The hose joints are leaking, which reduces the pressure. I asked Intex about that, they told me it was by design, to make sure the hose could move unrestricted. At the reduced price it is a great buy, at regular price it is a good buy.

Yes, I noticed the leaking connectors. Since mine is attached outside of the pool rather than to the return, I had to use a regular piece of hose long enough to get over the wall before the first connector. Otherwise it would leak onto the ground.

Hi there -

This doesn't have an on off switch or a timer from what I can tell - is that right? So do you have it on an external timer? My sandfilter/pump has a timer and my SWG has a timer, but left unattended over time, they get out of sync which is frustrating for our house sitter.

Could you say more about how you control the run time?

Thanks!

Certainly! No it doesn't have any timer or switch. I have the pump, my SWG, and my light all plugged into an outdoor timer that I got at Home Depot, the type you might use for Christmas lights.

That way the pump and SWG both come on together. If I don't need the SWG to run all the time that the pump is on, I just set its timer to run an hour or two.

So say have the timer set to come on and run for three hours and then shut down for an hour. This gives me 18 hours of filtration per day. But I don't need to generate that much chlorine, so I'll set the SWG's internal timer to one hour, and that gives me 6 hours of chlorine generation per day. They both come on and run for an hour, then the SWG shuts down while the pump continues to run 2 more hours.

My timer is one of those that you push a little tab down around the outside of a wheel representing 24 hours. Each tab is 15 minutes. Between that and the timer on the SWG, you can get pretty much whatever you want programmed.

I did have an Intex pump in the past, and I just bypassed its timer to accomplish the same thing. However, the Intex had a GFCI built into its cord that would trip each time the timer kicked on. I had to cut it off and just use a regular plug because the entire circuit is GFCI protected at the house.

Thanks! I do the same thing with setting the pump to run for 4-6 hours and the SWG to run for 2-3 hours - but they seem to get out of sync and then the SWG comes on before the pump. I appreciate your great explanation!

"Wally" arrived today. Pretty slick little gizmo.

WP_20160417_13_43_51_Pro_zpspzcclc7i.jpg

Hooked up all by himself, the new 4500 gph pump makes him do wheelies. So I built Franken-valve out of PVC (Legos for grown-ups if you ask me -- I love PVC and zip ties!) so I can run Wally, the normal return, and Richard's water cannon all at the same time. By fiddling with the valves, I can get Wally zipping right along and still have decent circulation on the surface.

WP_20160417_18_12_34_Pro_zpscsevv5sq.jpg

WP_20160417_18_12_53_Pro_zpst151eadk.jpg

The water is still pretty greenish and murky -- I just opened it up yesterday.
My mother in law just bought the same pump and filter... Did the adapter that you are using on the hose that runs from the pump into the multi port valve come with it? Hers did not come with it. Know the sizes off hand?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The hose from the pump to the multivalve came with mine. I have no idea what size it is, other than to say that it's bigger than any of my other connections.

Maybe take the valve into a pool store and see if they have anything to fit it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.