New pump and SWG and new water

The 4 lbs. of conditioner finally dissipated out of the socks.
I ended up with 480 lbs of salt but my RJ-45 said it was short of salt so it wouldn't generate. I added 20 lbs. more and it started gener.
The local pool store said my salt is at 3200 ppm. I am aiming for 3000.

FC = 2.5
CC = 3
PH = 7.6
CYA = 10
CH = 200
TA = 110

Should I add another lb. of conditioner?
Is the low CYA why I can't seem to get the FC up to 3 or 4?
I'm running my pump at 1500 trying to get this new water in order

btw the pool water looks Awesome but the kids are griping about the new taste - yes we are swimming in Arizona.

Thanks

It is impossible to test a CYA of 10ppm. The 4 lbs you added would raise your CYA by 24 ppm (use PoolMath). For a SWCG pool you need to add another 4lbs and have another 4 lbs ready to add in the next 30 days.

Most people cannot taste salt at 3000 ppm.

ok - is Stabilizer the same as conditioner? I ran the calculator and it indicated 11 lbs. It took 4 days for 4lbs to dissipate in the socks so it'll take a while to do this. 4lbs filled 2 socks completely and it took up all the space in skimmer. Should I use the liquid form?

CYA is sold as chlorine stabilizer.

Liquid form is great, its just more expensive than solid versions. You will get much faster results. It may be sold as instant pool water conditioner. One gallon will raise your CYA by about 16 ppm.

Last edited:
I greatly prefer the liquid stabilizer. It was many advantages including convenience and quick results. The only downside I've seen is the cost and the jug will form sediment if left still for months. I go out of my way to save money on pool supplies and liquid stabilizer is the one thing I splurge on.

Probably 80% of the people I know notice some salt taste even with levels down about 2800, about the minimum any SWG system will operate well at. That said, the taste is very mild and typically not noticed after many exposures. It's like living next to a noisy road and not noticing the noise anymore after living there for a while.

My RJ-30 reads salt level fairly accurately if water is 65 degrees or more. It tends to read as much as 300 low when water is in the mid to high 50s, right at the cusp of when the system won't function. I've found that a salt level of 3400 (by accurate test kit) is the best compromise for my pool. It keeps the SWG system happy even with low water temperature but that salt level still has a very subtle salt taste that nobody seems to find objectionable. One or two major rain storms aren't going to drop the salt level low enough to be a problem either and that's especially a consideration if the pool is left without supervision for any length of time such as a vacation.

SWG is great for maintaining your target FC level - but not all that great for increasing it quickly. Dump some liquid chlorine in to achieve your target level and then let the SWG maintain it.

When adding CYA/stabilizer, kneed the socks every hour or so to help it dissolve into the water quicker. To me, liquid stabilizer is a waste of money - I've seen the price 3+ times the cost of granules to achieve the same result.

I see you got a CH level of 200 - much better than the previous 0 you posted.

Your CC of 3 is troubling. What exactly have you added to the pool - chemical wise - since the refill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.