New pool

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
My son just moved into his new house today. . I meet the pool service today. My son works tons of hours and needs the pool service. He has a salt water gen 30,000 pool. Star rite 400 filters. They were vacuum the pool and that’s it. They were leaving. I ask about the filters? They said $80 more to clean. I pulled them to clean and found this !!!! I told them if this is how they are doing the service don’t come back. My son will talk to them. My question is. The salt water generation. I’m reading it should be cleaned out. Can someone tell me about this. Also the service guys use test strips to check water. Like I said we will call them tomorrow and have a long talk. The pool is gunite

Attachments

• 9BF5BE2B-1211-4AA5-B741-D1977523B1FD.jpeg
    9BF5BE2B-1211-4AA5-B741-D1977523B1FD.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 6CD49901-7186-4D0A-9FBB-DE5C5DA89D55.jpeg
    6CD49901-7186-4D0A-9FBB-DE5C5DA89D55.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 25
It is not clear to me what model SWG your son has. A SWG only needs cleaning if it has visible scale on its plates. A pool with good water chemistry may never have any scale on the SWG plates. You need to take the cell off and take a look.

If it has scale then first try and hose it off. There are how to clean SWG YouTube videos. Only clean the cell plates with a diluted acid bath if there is scale. Every acid cleaning reduces the life of the cell.

It is not clear to me what model SWG your son has. A SWG only needs cleaning if it has visible scale on its plates. A pool with good water chemistry may never have any scale on the SWG plates. You need to take the cell off and take a look.

If it has scale then first try and hose it off. There are how to clean SWG YouTube videos. Only clean the cell plates with a diluted acid bath if there is scale. Every acid cleaning reduces the life of the cell.
I see your from north jersey. My sons house is in Wyckoff NJ. I live out east Long Island and only here till Thursday. I’m going to call the pool service tomorrow. I’m at his house now and just found a list of things that need replacement. The salt water gen is on the list from pool service. $1000 bucks. They said it’s not working but the guys didn’t tell me that this morning. AjW22. You wouldn’t know of a good pool service here????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is 30 years old. I wouldn’think they did it wrong. Those filter are so old, no one live here for years.

Just saying, it might be worth checking before you put a new cartridge in. Just because it’s been like that for years doesn’t mean it’s correct.

A couple pictures of the plumbing setup would make it easy for us to tell if it’s correct.

It may just be that it’s too dirty like you say, but a quick look and a photo might save some headache down the road

Just saying, it might be worth checking before you put a new cartridge in. Just because it’s been like that for years doesn’t mean it’s correct.

A couple pictures of the plumbing setup would make it easy for us to tell if it’s correct.

It may just be that it’s too dirty like you say, but a quick look and a photo might save some headache down the road
I will take pictures tomorrow

The SWG is a Pentair. Probably an IC40 although he should have an IC60 for a 30K pool.

$1,000 for an IC40 or $1,200 for an IC60 are fair installed prices in this area.

What lights are on the cell?

Last edited:

Picture. I want to thank you guys for helping me. I’m here for a week as my son is away on business trip. He got this house and has like 10 guys working on it. Redoing kitchen- floors- bathroom- tile work. Sanding & staining. Tons of work. All the workers are great. The only problem is the pool service. They lie , hitting me with crazy prices. I wanted to see what it would cost to replace that SWG. Thanks. Marty D

Attachments

• 6BF02F96-2778-432A-A557-9BCACC0A4F8A.jpeg
    6BF02F96-2778-432A-A557-9BCACC0A4F8A.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 7214D4DF-60AE-45EF-B457-86A4CB94C2A3.jpeg
    7214D4DF-60AE-45EF-B457-86A4CB94C2A3.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 19
Marty,

That is a very old IntelliChlor cell.. Most likely an IC40, but no way to tell. Lights wise it appears to be working, unless the Life light is flashing.

Assuming the cell is bad, you can just unscrew it and install a new one yourself. BUT... make sure you notice that the new one will go in backwards as the flow switch is on the other end on the new cells..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Marty D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.