Hi Everyone,

So, I had my pool perfectly balanced via guidance from this site. So awesome! Then, as you can read about in my post above, they had to drain my brand new pool to redo the pebble. Long story short, this was 3 weeks ago, and I had it worked out with my PB that he had a pool guy that would start it up and maintain it for 3 weeks as we were taking a 3-week long vacation (horrible timing, I know, but it was supposedly the ONLY time the pebble guys could redo the job). So, I get back, and it looks and sounds like other than adding chlorine on the first day, NOTHING WAS DONE!

So, obviously I'm furious and have other issues to work through with my PB, but for now, I REALLY want to get my pool back under control.

Here are my test results:

FC=0
CC=0
TC=0
CH=125
TA=120
pH=Off the friggin' charts
I didn't test CYA, but no one has put any in, so I'm assuming it's Zero.

So, here are some of my questions:

1) I have a faux rock coping, which has some pretty serious looking white marks (scaling?) all over it. What is the best way to remove those without further screwing up my coping?
2) I have read the SLAMing page fairly thoroughly (a few times), but I just want to make sure I've got the right plan in place:
a) I don't even know what my pH is other than "HIGH", so I know I've got to start with the Muriatic Acid. Should I start with 2 gallons (14,000 gallon pool)?
b) Would I start adding my FC next or my CYA? The article wasn't quite clear. Obviously, I won't really be able to test the CYA for a week, so I'm guessing I just add them both in the same time period?
c) I have a SWG, which is not started up again since the refill. Being that it's been 3 weeks since the pebble repair, can I go ahead and dump my salt in and get the SWG going? Does it matter when I do that in the whole order of things?

Freakin out a bit here! Thanks in advance for all the help!

Last edited:
When you say pH off the chart, I assume it's too high. The first thing is to balance pH, then dump some bleach in. If it is fresh tap water, it won't have any CYA, but I would test just to be sure. Use Pool Math to determine just how much CYA to add to bring it up to about 60, and add that. Test and fine tune. Once everything is in balance you can turn the SWG back on.

Thanks! It's my favorite part for sure. From the house, it just looks like a cool rock formation with moss growing all over it. Then, you get up to the deck and you see the fridge.

My other favorite part is the real peat moss on all the rocks. When the rock guy begged me to do it, I was nervous. But, he was right, it makes it look much more authentic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look awesome! But still discreet. How much of the project did you do yourself? Everything looks so professionally done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.