New Pool, Yellow Stains that's Not Algae

FBreeze

May 16, 2022
SW Utah
Over the past couple of months, yellowish stains have been popping up and they are increasing and getting darker. They don't scrub off. I've been told a few things:

1. Possible rebar rusting. I don't think this is the case. The pool is less than 1 year old.
2. Salt creates stains faster than chlorine and I should consider switching.

Both of these sound like a stretch to me. My pool cleaner is at a loss on what it might be so today I took a sample to the pool store. Metals came back negative but they said my calcium hardness is too high and likely the culprit (505). CY is low (32), and Phosphates is high (1647). They seemed to be most concerned with the calcium and said that is the likely culprit. Does anyone have any experience with these numbers? Other threads are contradicting the severity of calcium harness at 505.

1.) Any advice on what really is causing the staining?
2.) How hopeful should I be about getting the stains out? They are large and about to take over the pool. Some one suggested draining and acid washing but the stains are persistent and may return.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I can add a few comments:
- The only way to be sure about the potential influence from chemistry is to test your own water with a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. The pool store is almost worthless, and their advice isn't much better. At-home testing is easy and reliable wit the right kit. I never trust a pool store's tests, nor should you.
- Calcium scale can sometimes present itself with an off-white, dull, almost dingy-light brown color. For such a new pool it's possible I suppose if the chemistry was not maintained properly - hence the proper test kit.
- Even though the store said no metals, test yourself. Rub a Vitamin C tablet on a stain to see if it's iron. Or rub a chlorine tablet on a stain to see if it's organic. If you made the mistake of using copper-based products, they usually result in dark/black stains. But you can, try some dry acid anyways if you wish. But if it is calcium scale, it could provide very difficult.

Try to get a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test it as soon as you can and post a full set of numbers. We'll know more from there.

Be sure to update your signature as well.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I can add a few comments:
- The only way to be sure about the potential influence from chemistry is to test your own water with a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. The pool store is almost worthless, and their advice isn't much better. At-home testing is easy and reliable wit the right kit. I never trust a pool store's tests, nor should you.
- Calcium scale can sometimes present itself with an off-white, dull, almost dingy-light brown color. For such a new pool it's possible I suppose if the chemistry was not maintained properly - hence the proper test kit.
- Even though the store said no metals, test yourself. Rub a Vitamin C tablet on a stain to see if it's iron. Or rub a chlorine tablet on a stain to see if it's organic. If you made the mistake of using copper-based products, they usually result in dark/black stains. But you can, try some dry acid anyways if you wish. But if it is calcium scale, it could provide very difficult.

Try to get a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test it as soon as you can and post a full set of numbers. We'll know more from there.

Be sure to update your signature as well.

Thanks. I'll do that testing. in the mean time here is a pic of the staining. I do see some white spots on the walls of the pool. Some I can whip away with my hand, others are hard.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 24
Texas Splash is giving great advice......I would suggest to follow it.

The picture is blurry but it looks like dead algae and should brush away. Still, re-read the post from Texas Splash

1. Possible rebar rusting. I don't think this is the case. The pool is less than 1 year old.
2. Salt creates stains faster than chlorine and I should consider switching.
completely bogus! run away from that advice!

Thanks. I'll do that testing. in the mean time here is a pic of the staining. I do see some white spots on the walls of the pool. Some I can whip away with my hand, others are hard.
@Texas Splash My pool maintence guy just came for the weekly service. He's still at a loss and thinks it could be a bad plaster job. None the less he shared his results with me. Before I run to get my own testing kit. Is this helpful at all? Hope you can read it.

Attachments

• PoolLevels.jpg
    PoolLevels.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 7
Thank you for sharing the color chart, but I'm afraid that won't help. You'll need a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. When you get one (I recommend the TF-100) you'll totally understand why test strips and pool store testing are so bad for pools.

Bad plaster? Certainly possible. But let's wait until we can see some of your test results before we get too far.

This is very interesting. I have a thread going where I have stains that are almost identical. Started off in just one place and now has spread to my entire deep end. I'm kinda thinking that I had a very bad plaster job and maybe it is rebar staining. While I don't have a "salt" pool my pool has a lot of salt now due to using so much chlorine over the years and I've tried everything to get rid of these stains with no success. I've tried scrubbing the heck out of it, even with a metal brush, and the vit c and leaving a chlorine tab on them... even put some MA directly on it with a special sponge tool but nothing works.

I hope you more success than I've had. Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.