Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
1931B57E-C207-4D49-9367-F11EE3C52EC8.jpegWe just finished the pool, water has been in for 30 days. Pool tech turned on salt generator yesterday, added salt. They said we are on our own without any real further instruction other than pool will look cloudy, added everything at once, salt will take 3 days to show on iChlor. Ok. Now what? Do I just wait a few days for the salt, and then take some measurements? Can we swim and run heat in the mean time? I will attach my current measurements, I didn’t check cya yet. Also, the patio is getting sealed today, so I am not sure how the extra sand and sealant will affect the water.

Do you have the TF-100 test kit? That's the test kit recommended on here. Also, in the pool math app, go to settings and turn on "Track csi." That takes the results of some of the tests and gives a value that you should aim to keep between -.6 and +.6. You should brush the pool to help the salt dissolve and not clump. The rest I am not sure...still waiting for my pool to get salt.

Welcome to TFP.

Where did those test results come from?

Your chlorine, pH and TA are all very low. Are you using Trichlor tablets to chlorinate the water?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

How many gallons in your pool?

Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine to the pool.

Aerate the pool to raise the pH or raise it and the TA.

Yes, you can swim and use the heater. But if your pH is correct it is acidic and can damage a gas heaters copper coils.

The simplest way to raise TA is with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate). In fact, if you look at the ingredient in the chemical bottle that pool stores sell as “alkalinity increaser”, it is precisely that, baking soda!! And, it is often 2X to 3X the price of the stuff in your grocery store.

Chemicals suggested for raising TA. Their effects are:
  • Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change
  • Borax = big pH change, small TA change
  • Soda Ash/Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change.
It is often best to make large TA adjustments in a couple of steps, testing the water after each step, as adding large quantities of baking soda can raise the pH a little and you don't want the pH going out of range.

@mknauss

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.