Gold Supporter
Sep 10, 2021
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I have a new pool filled just about 2 months now. I was testing with the strips my builder left, and things looked ok. But I had ordered my testing kit and when I got it I started doing my own testing - things look much different (worse).

The builder had filled up my puck chlorinator and had it left wide open, saying to control it with pump time. Well via the strips it looked like CYA was in the 50-60 range, but when I started testing myself it was 100+. I have pulled all the pucks out of the chlorinator, to keep things from getting worse.

My question is, since it is getting cooler and the pool will stay open year round here in Texas, should I go ahead and drain some water out, or should I wait and see how winter goes as far as rain and such?

-S

Do the Extended CYA test tomorrow, use 1:1 pool water and tap water, then use that as your pool water sample. Double what result you get.

If above 100, best to drain some sooner than later.

Time to discontinue the pucks. Get a SWCG.

I did the Extended CYA test this morning and it is just at or below 50, so right at 100.

Since I have never drained any water from a pool before, I will use this as a learning experience and drain a measured amount, refill and test again. Perhaps then I can get an idea of how much fill I will need if/when I need to adjust CYA again.

Reactions: Casey
Doing small drain and refills will result in using alot of fill water. Up to you on that. Realize that your fill water is high in TA and has iron in it, at least it does in most of Houston.

At 100 CYA, this time of year, you can probably get away with just managing it. As you do not get many big rain storms until summer, you should monitor the CYA monthly to see if you need to drain/exchange some water in the spring.

See Draining - Further Reading

Last edited:
Good points. Perhaps I am a bit too eager to get things perfect - understanding it's a process. Like most things I guess small adjustments, and see the effect.

Thanks once again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.