Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Moved from here.
Hi .. similar scenario for me.

Set up a bestway 16x10x42 (approx 3000 gallons) and upon fill up water is tinted green, but clear. I added shock and a 3" chlorine tab floater after filling and have had the filter running. I had water analyzed the following morning and here are the results:

Free Chlorine: 4.03 ppm
Total Chlorine: 5.45
pH: 7.9
Total Alk: 43 ppm
Calcium Hardness: 62 ppm
CYA: 5 ppm
Iron: 0.2 ppm
Copper: 0.1 ppm
Phosphates: 603 ppb
TDS: 300 ppm

I was told to add and completed the following today but water still looks green:

2lbs 6oz of Alkalinity Up
41 fl Oz of Instant Pool Water Conditioner

My Phosphate level is very high so thinking of adding Phosphate Remover ... any other suggestions to turn this water crystal blue? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
You may want to consider following Seasonal Pools

Phosphates are of no consequence to a properly chlorinated pool.
What shock did you add?
You want to add enough conditioner to get to 30 ppm CYA. Then add enough liquid chlorine to get to 6 ppm. Use PoolMath
Read the article above and let us know any questions.

Did you add all 41 oz of the conditioner? That would add 40 ppm CYA. That will suffice. No more conditioner or pucks or dichlor.

Yes, I originally added Leslies Power Powder Plus 73 Shock ( about 1/4 Lbs) Today I added the 41 fl oz of instant pool conditioner.

New water is nearly always green. If it does not change by keeping your TC above 3 ppm, then it is most likely iron. Do you have iron in your fill water?
You need a basic drop test for TC and pH. Plan to get one as soon as you can.

I added roughly 9oz of Sea Klear Metal Klear around 1:00pm today and no change 8 hours later, water still has a yellow tint to it. Any further suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was a brand new pool and the fill water had a yellow tint which made the pool look green. I added shock and used a 3"chlorine puck in the floater. I left the filter running for 4 days straight, rinsing out the filter 2x day and also put 3 socks over the return line (google how to remove iron from above ground pool on youtube). The socks would turn from white to brown. I would remove, rinse and reapply them. It looked like it was filtering rust out of the water. My pool looks great now.

This was a brand new pool and the fill water had a yellow tint which made the pool look green. I added shock and used a 3"chlorine puck in the floater. I left the filter running for 4 days straight, rinsing out the filter 2x day and also put 3 socks over the return line (google how to remove iron from above ground pool on youtube). The socks would turn from white to brown. I would remove, rinse and reapply them. It looked like it was filtering rust out of the water. My pool looks great now.

That's very good! I would suggest the HTH 6-way test kit (can be purchased from Walmart or Amazon, depending on who is in-stock)

Please add your pool details to your signature and welcome to pool ownership!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.