New pool with buildup on plaster already

NickGee

Oct 22, 2021
South Florida
Hello Everyone,

New member here. Just had a new inground gunite pool built. The size is 10,100 gallons with a Florida Stucco GEM finish (plaster/cement based). The issue I'm having is with severe scale/buildup at the 6 week mark....here's the timeline of my story:

Aug 19: plaster finish installed and pool filled by 11pm that night.
Aug 20: startup chemicals/pump started by GC and his sub.
Aug 20-31: I frequently brushed the pool's finish. The dusting was reducing as time went on.
Aug 31: startup chemicals reported as balanced, pool maintenance turned over to me. I hired the same pool company for maintenance that the GC used for startup.
Sep 16: 280lb of salt added by pool maintenance company. SWG started and set to 50% with a run time of 8hrs per day.
Sep 19: Pool finish was perfect/felt normal.
Sep 26: Pool finish was not good, it felt very rough and SHARP. Actually wore our skin raw if we rubbed it a little too much. No visible buildup could be seen though.
Sep 27: I contacted the pool maintenance company to discuss the issue, but they wouldn't get back to me.
Sep 28: Took a sample of water to the local pool supply company with the following results: FC 5, TC 5, PH 8.0, TA 70, CH 200, Salt 3700, TDS 5000. Based on that I added a gallon of 31.45% Acid.
Sep 30: I fired the pool maintenance company after witnessing them NOT brush the pool during their weekly visit, and based on their lack of response to my issue and water test results. (Further review of surveillance video showed they only brushed the steps of the pool during their weekly visits.)

Since then I've been maintaining the pool chemistry myself. I've been striving to keep the Ph below 7.8, but it's been a challenge (constantly adding acid). I've reduced the SWG output to about 10% of its overall capacity (30% at 8hr run time) and keep the FC and TC at 2-3ppm.

My problem is with this buildup on the surface that is extremely sharp. Brushing, even with a SS brush, does not remove it. The only thing I've found that works is using a concrete rubbing block (similar to a pumice stone, but harder). That takes it off beautifully and leaves a perfectly smooth plaster finish, just like before the buildup occurred. But it's a lot of surface area, and underwater, to have to do manually.

What is this buildup? Is it calcium silicate? That's the only thing I've read about that is remotely close to what I have. But calcium silicate seems to take years to build up, not days/weeks. I'm afraid of calling the plaster manufacturer for fear of voiding the warranty of my finish.

Any input on what this buildup is/how it occurred and advice on how to address it would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Nick

What test kit are you using to maintain the pool chemistry?

I suggest you review...

I think the way you need to address the roughness is to drain the pool and have the plaster sanded with 80/100 grit sandpapaer. Plaster companies have powered sanders they use to smooth plaster and polish quartz pools.

@onBalance may have some ideas.

I agree with Allen that sanding is probably the remedy. But you need to make sure there is a calcium (carbonate) deposit on the surface everywhere and not from poor troweling leaving a rough surface. Asking the plastering out will not void their warranty.

Thanks for the responses. This is definitely a build-up on the surface, and not the result of poor troweling. I can also tell/see the difference between an over-exposed surface (looks and feels rough, but doesn't cut your skin) and my problematic surface (feels very sharp and can draw blood, lol). Additionally, the places that I've already 'cleaned' with my rubbing block feel perfectly smooth and no buildup has reoccurred.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.