New pool, what pump and filter do I need?

Human

Silver Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Man I need some help/a crash course in pool equipment lol.

Very soon we will be getting a pool. We are not 100% sure on which size yet, waiting on the permit to come back. It will be a above ground pool 54" wall, 30ft or 28ft round, with a deep end. If I put in the numbers correctly it will be around 27,758.33 gallons, I will have all the equipment about 25'-'20' away from the pool, and I would like to go one size up on everything if I am able to.

Filter I was thinking of a Hayward 24" S244T, or a Hayward 27" S270T, with glass media.

As for a pump I really have no clue I do want a two speed, and thats all that I know. Two of the local pool stores, said I should go with a small pump for a in-ground pool, since my pump will be 10' away from my pool, but before I buy what they are selling I thought I would ask you all.

Thanks for all your help.

Not sure I'd necessarily go with a VS pump for an above ground pool (look to see if they are optimal in this setting, if it's going to be lower than the water level) but I would go sand over glass for the filter (get the S270T or even the S310T).

So it looks like a will need a 27" sand filter with sand :D. Does anyone know what I should be looking for in a pool pump, like what specs I should be looking for? I'm sorry but this is like a new language and I really want to get it right the first time.

Well after watching this video, I understand more lol. ( How To: Size A Pool Pump - YouTube ) The only thing I don't understand is how to figure out average feet of head, the pool is going to be 35" away from the pump and filter, but I'm only going to have one suction line correct?

28ft round pool, 54" 7' deep end, about 25,000 gallons.
8hr turn over, 25,000/8 = 3,125
gallons per a min 3,125 / 60 = 52

Guys I really want to order the pump tonight/tomorrow so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Turnover is meaningless.

I would suggest a 1.5 hp 2 speed pump. You will run it on low speed the majority of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Call InyoPools and get their recommendation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.