New pool.. what about these numbers?

TNReb

Jan 21, 2021
TN
I have a new pool that was just completed a few days ago. As I've mentioned in my other posts, I was talked in to the ozone, UV, and automatic chlorinator stuff before I did my homework and realized a SWG may be the way to go. SWG is on my conversion list for somewhere down the road. For now, I'm going to have to stick with what I have.

The builder just added chlorine tablets and left. They said they would come back later this week to give me a quick tutorial on the equipment, but it sounded like they're done trying to balance the water.

We used the pool for the first time on Sunday, and the water was cloudy. You could see the bottom in the deep end, but couldn't make out the tile pattern of the liner.

I ran all of the tests from the TFP kit Sunday.

pH - 7.5
FC - 3.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 4
CYA - 0

I used the Pool Math app and added stabilizer and bleach Sunday evening.

Yesterday evening the water had cleared up nicely.

This morning I ran my tests again.

pH - 7.8
FC - 10.5
CC - 0
TC - 10.5
TA - 80
CYA - between 50 and 55

I'm sort of confused on what to do now. I'm unsure if I should be shooting for SLAM levels of FC (about 20 with a CYA of 50), or if I should shoot for "normal" levels (6-8 with CYA 50). Not sure if I need to be making changes or give this time and re-test next week?

I appreciate any advice...

Last edited:
How did you add stabilizer?
With a CYA between 50 and 55, your CYA is 60. Always round up on CYA.

pH can read high when FC is above 10.
How do you intend to chlorinate going forward? We recommend liquid chlorine as you don't presently have a SWG.
Check the FC/CYA Levels for correct FC level in relation to your CYA level.

Continue to run the filter 24 hours a day for a few days. Also consider an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Please fill out your signature to include info about your pool, pool equipment and testkit. See my signature for possible options.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the reply. I admittedly didn't test pH this morning. I didn't realize it would change much, so I just put the same value from the other day. I just tested it and updated my original post (7.8).

Going forward, I plan to chlorinate with bleach. It's impossible to find anything else around here for a normal price.

I have checked the charts, and maybe I wasn't clear with my original question. I'm unsure if I should be following the "Liquid Chlorine" chart or the "SLAM" chart. I think your suggestion of an OCLT will help me figure that out. I'll do that and see where it gets me.

I'll get my signature updated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.