New Pool Waterfall Issues

Oct 9, 2018
Cancun, Mexico
Hi All, Firstly - Happy Holidays.
I have questions about our pool that we just finished. We had a 5mx3m AG pool built and included a Waterfall "feature". My problem is that the waterfall literally has a trickle of water coming out of it. I will try not to make this a long post, but let me explain the setup.

The pool has no skimmer, so the only "suction" from the pool to the pump is either the drain in the bottom or the connection for the vacuum. When running "normally", the water goes from the drain into the pump (1HP), then to the filter (Sand) then from the filter the tube (2") coming out splits into two, one that goes back to the return jets (x4 - also 2" tubing) and one that goes to the Waterfall (1" I think). Each "Exit" tube has a valve that can be adjusted/closed. The reason for the reduction was in order to put a "smart" faucet controller, to be able to control the waterfall from my Home Automation setup (currently removed and replaced with a flexible tube).

When running the pump with the jets and the waterfall, the waterfall literally has a trickle of water. If you close the jets, then the waterfall does have more "power", but 1) still doesn't flow evenly, and 2) my pool guy (not the one who built it, he has disappeared!) tells me it will be too much stress for the pump to run only the waterfall.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! I was thinking maybe another pump just for the waterfall line?

Cheers,
MM

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a pressure gauge on your filter and can report what the filter pressure is?

Another pump for the waterfall line should work and give you more control over the waterfall flow.

Matt,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your "trickle" issues... :shark:

Waterfalls like a lot of water through big pipes...

When given the option to flow back to the pool through a 2" pipe with four exits, or to try and force its way through a 1" pipe, the water will always take the path of least resistance.

I would add a Jandy valve at the point where the plumbing from the filter splits between the pool and the waterfall, and I would also replace any 1" pipe with 2" pipe. I would then run either the pool returns, or the waterfall, but probably not both at the same time. You can use a standard valve actuator to control the valve from your Home Automation system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Allen, Sorry for the slow reply, what with the festivities and I didn't see any notifications of replies! I do have a pressure gauge, I will check the numbers later, but i do remember that the pressure is fine when running the jets or the jets and the waterfall, but if i put ONLY the Waterfall, it jumps up to the Red section. Cheers, Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Matt,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your "trickle" issues... :shark:

Waterfalls like a lot of water through big pipes...

When given the option to flow back to the pool through a 2" pipe with four exits, or to try and force its way through a 1" pipe, the water will always take the path of least resistance.

I would add a Jandy valve at the point where the plumbing from the filter splits between the pool and the waterfall, and I would also replace any 1" pipe with 2" pipe. I would then run either the pool returns, or the waterfall, but probably not both at the same time. You can use a standard valve actuator to control the valve from your Home Automation system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim - Thanks for the welcome, as above, sorry for the delay in replying. I am not too sure what a Jandy valve is, but I will research. I have just received a quote to replace the tubing and it is more than I originally paid to have the waterfall in the first place.:( Thank you for your suggestions. Cheers, Matt

-- UPDATE
I just realized what a Jandy Valve is, didn't know the name. Both "paths" for the water have manual valves that can be open, adjusted or closed (think they are "Ball" valves?).

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.