New pool - Water colour & tiles HELP :)

adam-silver

Nov 22, 2019
Spain
Adam, That looks like white plaster to me. That gives such a clean, blue color. Looks SO refreshing! I am also going to share a link with you that you might find helpful:

So saying that I am guessing the white tiles will be your go to. The lighter tile you use the lighter your water will be.

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim

Thanks for the reply, its so hard trying to imagine a white tile giving off such a nice blue.

I'm wondering if this tile below (very very light blue) will give a similar blue to what I want (not too light)

IMG-2980

Looking at the link you sent I think these will be too dark

Thanks

I KNOW! It blows my mind that WHITE will make such are pretty water color.

What you can do is get a good amount of those tiles and put them in the tub and see what it does. I do worry the 111 ones will be darker than you are wanting. The IMG-2980 may be purrfect!

This build thread had a similar plaster color to yours and they went with a glass tile has a lot of variation to it depending on the sunlight. I'm wondering if you could do something similar, or even a whiter glass tile with the same effect.

Thanks for the reply, its so hard trying to imagine a white tile giving off such a nice blue.

It is all down to the water itself, as when light travels through water, the longer wavelengths of the spectrum (red/orange/yellow end) as well as the much shorter wavelengths (purple/UV end) are attenuated by the water.

Your pretty much left with only the blue/green hues as the only ones being able to be transmitted through the water which then end up being reflected from the pool surface.

A blue surface will end up looking a much deeper bluer while a lighter surface like white will end up reflecting a lighter blue. Some other shades will shift the reflected visible colour towards green etc.

Below is a shot of my white FG pool being filled - note the light blue colour of the water which is basically the reflected left-over visible wavelength components which are not being absorbed by the water.

aGIfjS.jpg

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great example of a white pool and it’s water colour. I want the water colour just a bit darker / more blue than that.

I do think this really light blue might give me what I’m after IMG-2980

what’s your thoughts on a different colour waterline tile or just tile all the same colour?

Just remember any color of water line tile will really POP and influence the water color as well. Turquoise could throw a little green depending on the shade/tint you pick.
Now I’m pushing it but do you think you could find an example of a turquoise waterline tile that would give the colour I’m after? Or again would you just leave it all one colour?

Here is my pool being filled that is white plaster with pebbles. It gets more blue after the first addition of Chlorine dont know why but it did.

Check out the tiles they are some turquoise and blue with some green hues. Really pops nicely with a white pool.

Attachments

• BC4E57F5-8C47-42DE-9B4D-3DF214242F24.jpeg
    BC4E57F5-8C47-42DE-9B4D-3DF214242F24.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: BMK
@Katodude THOSE are just the tiles I was going to go looking for for them. Could you pretty please share their name and what brand they are??? SO pretty and just what I think they would like.

Me? I like the accent of different colors but that is mostly because most of our pools are done with plaster. We see very few all tile pools. You are SO lucky you will get this. It is so pretty! I also love me some BLING and those tiles above will give me you want you are looking for!

I think that tile you gave above will be just want you want as for as color or hint of color to get your water color.

Here you go, and they are even on sale!!!

And everybody shhhhh. My wife picked them and I did not want them, wanted something more blue. Of course she was right and they look great.

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Here is my pool being filled that is white plaster with pebbles. It gets more blue after the first addition of Chlorine dont know why but it did.

Check out the tiles they are some turquoise and blue with some green hues. Really pops nicely with a white pool.

They do look really nice but I think are too dark for the colour I’m after.

what do you think to these colours with the really light blue tile underneath.

or

Attachments

• 27A32FED-C2E9-4FF9-ACDE-13832F169C3F.jpeg
    27A32FED-C2E9-4FF9-ACDE-13832F169C3F.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bottom one! I like 1x2 tiles and the color and texture combo really talks to me! The only way you could make me happier is if you did the WHOLE pool with it!!!! BLING OUT!!

Ha ha nooooo not the whole pool. But that’s my favourite too. So something like that one mixed with the really light blue tile for the rest of the pool should work to get the colour I want.

I am surrounding it in a very light stone colour & same colour slate effect tile.

Now I just need to source that waterline tile in Spain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.