New pool, SWG?

What lights are on the panel and go through the diagnostic readings and list them with the pump on, the cell connected and the panel on.

Only pool and filter are lit up green.

Diagnostics:

Chlorinator off
test salt level

Instant chlorinator off

flow switch
flow

cell temp sensor
86F

water sensor
86F

air sensor
85F

main software revision 2.66

Display software
Local-04 r3.00

What control do you have? It isn't just a SWG. That sounds like an automation system. If so you are beyond my SWG assistance. Someone who is more familiar with your system needs to confirm that the SWG power supply is OK. Then you can start shopping for a replacement cell. I am a little puzzled that your pump and filter are Pentair but the SWG appears to be a Hayward. The different brands don't play well together. What is the brand and model of the controller?

The only Pentair products I see are the filter and pump. Controll appears to be Hayward/Aqualogic. Pics attached.
Pmebi
Pmebi
http://imgur.com/a/Pmebi

AquaLogic is not my forte. I put in a call for reinforcements. Standby.

Once we are able to confirm that the power supply is operational, you can start shopping for a new T-15 cell.

Press the filter button to turn the pump off. Wait about 30 seconds and turn the pump back on. Go to diagnostics and see what the readings are. There will be a countdown delay before the chlorinator turns on. After the countdown, the readings will come on. They will take a minute to stabilize. Once they stabilize, record the numbers. Then press the "+" button. That will change polarity. There will be another countdown and new numbers. Once they stabilize, record them.

The cell is 10 years old and probably bad. A bad cell will cause the salt to read low.

It looks like the salt system is not turning on because the system thinks that the salinity is too low.

The salinity might actually be too low or the cell might be bad or a combination of both.

Check the pool salinity independently with a good test kit like the K-1766.

Go to default menu and press the ">" to see what that shows.

Press the filter button to turn the pump off. Wait about 30 seconds and turn the pump back on. Go to diagnostics and see what the readings are. There will be a countdown delay before the chlorinator turns on. After the countdown, the readings will come on. They will take a minute to stabilize. Once they stabilize, record the numbers. Then press the "+" button. That will change polarity. There will be another countdown and new numbers. Once they stabilize, record them.

The cell is 10 years old and probably bad. A bad cell will cause the salt to read low.

It looks like the salt system is not turning on because the system thinks that the salinity is too low.

The salinity might actually be too low or the cell might be bad or a combination of both.

Check the pool salinity independently with a good test kit like the K-1766.

Go to default menu and press the ">" to see what that shows.

James-
Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, the SWG has not been in use for some time (years?). The owner gave up on it and went back to chlorine, I just took over a couple days ago. An inspector confirmed the cell needs replacement. Should I still proceed with your instructions? Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can't find a salt test, you may have to (gasp) have a pool store do a salt test. Not ideal but better than nothing.

I am trying to replace the t-cell and when I start to unscrew it from the union, water is continuously spewing out. I shut off the pump, power, and relieved filter pressure, I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Will my CYA naturally increase when I add salt? Right now it is about 30ppm

D,

I would assume that the filter has water in it that is higher then where the cell is. Or, depending on your layout, the cell could be lower than your pool surface.

With the pump out, gravity is the only thing that will move the water.

I once cut a pipe below the level of the pool and it took half an hour for the water to quit draining. It did not look lower, but it sure was...

CYA will never naturally increase. You have to add it.. I would not initially add any yet.. Get your SWCG running and make sure everything works first.

Thanks,

Jim R.

To limit the amount of water that will drain when you uncouple the t-cell, shut down the pump, open the air vent on the top of your filter, than wait 10 min or more for it to drain down before uncoupling the cell.

Ok I'm almost there. Salinity is up and cell installed. I'm just waiting for the FC to drift down a bit. TFP is recommending 4-6 FC but the aqualogic manual recommends 1-3 FC. I plan to go with the manual unless there's a compelling reason otherwise. Also, even before the SWG, my ph has been rising very steadily, I'm adding lots of MA. Maybe I should introduce some borate?

Ok I'm almost there. Salinity is up and cell installed. I'm just waiting for the FC to drift down a bit. TFP is recommending 4-6 FC but the aqualogic manual recommends 1-3 FC. I plan to go with the manual unless there's a compelling reason otherwise. Also, even before the SWG, my ph has been rising very steadily, I'm adding lots of MA. Maybe I should introduce some borate?

Dustin,

You either want algae or not... If you follow the 1-3 FC recommendation you should just plant a sign in your front yard saying.. "Algae party this weekend"... :p

If you want a clean, clear and sanitized pool you have to follow the TFP numbers... See this chart. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Up to you, but I'm personally not much of a "party" person.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dustin,

You either want algae or not... If you follow the 1-3 FC recommendation you should just plant a sign in your front yard saying.. "Algae party this weekend"... :p

If you want a clean, clear and sanitized pool you have to follow the TFP numbers... See this chart. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Up to you, but I'm personally not much of a "party" person.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hmmm not my kind of party! Lastly, the diagnostics read 4000 salt ppm, while the taylor test shows 3000ish. Any problems with that?

dustin,

The important thing is making sure the cell believes it has the proper amount of salt, otherwise it will not work. The saying goes something like,... "A happy cell is a happy pool"... :p

I only have experience with Pentair salt cells, which cannot be calibrated.. I'd check your manual, as some cells have a way to calibrate the salt readings..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.