New Pool Startup, No Test Kit...Yet

Sep 11, 2018
Mesa
My pool finally has water as of today! Builder should be coming out for start up tomorrow. Is it ok that the pump and everything isn't running during the first 24 hours? Also, I ordered the TF-100 but it won't be arriving until December 5-10. What should I do in the interim to test my water? Is it ok to take to a pool supply for testing? Obviously I won't be taking their advice as far as what to add. I've been doing my research with Pool School and the ABCs of Pool Chemistry. From my understanding, I will first be balancing PH and TA before moving on to Chlorine? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_142831747_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181128_142831747_HDR.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 63
Congrats on the new oasis! Looks great. :goodjob: For the water, see what your installer brings tomorrow for their pool school session. Sometimes they provide a small OTO tester (clear-block sampler for drop testing of FC and pH). That should suffice until your TF-100 arrives. If they give you test strips, just nod, say thank you, and leave them alone. Strips are horrible. Pay close attention to any chemicals your installer adds. Try to annotate the brand/type and amount. For example, if they add x-amount of stabilizer, then you'll have a good idea what your CYA should be. Your water is probably naturally hard, so they may or may not advise adding some calcium, but a few days until the TF-100 arrives won't hurt. You might ask if there are any specific concerns during start-up to ensure any warranty issues are observed. For example: lots of brushing, keeping the pH under control, FC level, no SWG for first 30 days, etc. I suspect they'll recommend home OTO testing coupled with pool store testing. :blah: If you feel that you need those store tests to show proof of testing for warranty purposes, just consider it as such. Remember your TF-100 will always be more accurate. When your TF-100 arrives, run a full set of tests and post back for help if you have any questions. Congrats again, and enjoy! :swim:

Pool startup was this morning. The only thing they added was stabilizer and chlorine pucks said everything else was in "normal range". They provided me with some test strips and basically said we should be good for the week. I took out the pucks as soon as they left. My TF-100 won't be arriving for another 6+ days so I took a sample to Leslie's for testing. Are their tests accurate?

FC 0
PH 7.6
TA 140
CH 400
CYA 30

Doesn't look like normal range to me, or at least not the recommended startup ranges from the links Allen (ajw22) provided. From my understanding, I need to add acid and aerate until my TA is around 80 and my pH is around 7.4. Should I be concerned that my CH is already at 400 from the get go? We must have insanely hard water.

Wait until you have your own kit before making any big changes. Just maintain your pH in the 7's and your TA will drop. Test the CH and TA of your fill water when you get the kit. Doubt the CH is 400 but more like 250-275.

You could put the pucks back in and use them up as long as you are running the pump. Or get a puck floater. It will come in handy later anyway. The trichlor will keep the pH down some and only add a touch of CYA in your volume pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.