New pool startup and rain

Apr 18, 2013
Kansas City MO
Just now filling our new pool and getting a little help from Mother Nature. Been filling the last three days and should be done this morning and we have had a half of a inch so far and should get a little more. My TF-100 test kit will not be here till August 1st. What is the best way to know what chemicals I will need at startup. I plan on turning on the pump today and start adding salt. Should I get a test at a local pool store? I don't really want to have to buy chemicals there but don't want to get a water test and run lol. Thanks in advance. MB

Just now filling our new pool and getting a little help from Mother Nature. Been filling the last three days and should be done this morning and we have had a half of a inch so far and should get a little more. My TF-100 test kit will not be here till August 1st. What is the best way to know what chemicals I will need at startup. I plan on turning on the pump today and start adding salt. Should I get a test at a local pool store? I don't really want to have to buy chemicals there but don't want to get a water test and run lol. Thanks in advance. MB
Use pool calculator and you can add salt, CYA, baking soda 50ppm and 300ppm Calcium chloride safely before testers arrive. New poot PH tend to be high so I would lower PH too by 0.5-1 by calculating MA with pool calculator. When you get tester then adjust according readings.

I would not add any baking soda or calcium without prior testing of the pool water.

Focus on chlorine for now. I would add 30ppm worth of CYA and then add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day until your test kit arrives.

Only thing important in a new vinyl liner fill is your chlorine and CYA.

The other chemicals can wait.

According to signature, it's a vinyl pool. Don't think that 5ppm with CYA would do any harm there. Without CYA is a different question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.