New pool, spa jet pump lost prime and won’t prime

johnkim2020

Aug 2, 2020
Canada
Hi,

new pool installed. Spa jet has 1hp Pentair Superflo dedicated to four jets. The spa jet suction and return are isolated from the rest of pool plumbing. No check valve.

PB primed the Superflo and spa jet is working last week. I haven’t touched it since then and now it won’t prime.

Pump is uphill from pool.

when I filled water to strainer basket, water just flows back to suction and eventually, the pipe becomes empty. I tried to fill multiple times and ran pump for 1-2 mins each to prime, no go.

Questions:
1. Is it normal to lose prime after extended period (3+days) of pump shut down?
2. If #1 is true, since spa jet is not frequently used, how do I prevent it to lose prime? Turn it on once a day? Change plumbing?
3. How can I fix this? Call PB to reprime it?

Last edited:
The pump should not drain down. I suspect the pump basket lid gasket needs to be lubricated and the lid securely tightened.

Reactions: johnkim2020
Thanks. If the pool guy said “it will lose water slowly if you don’t turn on the pump regularly”. Is he full of it?
If left for months, it will lose water because no pool system is that perfect. But overnight, it will stay full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.