New Pool Setup

ajd123

Mar 28, 2022
Newmarket, Ontario
We are quoting out a Vinyl pool. It is 18x42 with an additional 8x20 tanning shelf. Depth is 4' in the shallow end and 8' in the deep end. Various companies are proposing Pentair, Jandy & Hayward for the equipment. We are leaning towards Pentair. This is what we are thinking of using:

PUMP: Pentair Intelliflo VS: IntelliFlo® Variable Speed® High Performance Pool Pump - TradeGrade
FILTER: Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge System: Clean & Clear® Plus Cartridge Filter- TradeGrade
HEATER: Pentair 300,000 BTU master temp natural gas heater: MasterTemp® High Performance Pool and Spa Heaters - TradeGrade
SALT SYSTEM: Pentair Intellichlor salt system: IntelliChlor® Salt Chlorine Generator - TradeGrade
ROBOTIC CLEANER: Pentair Prowler 920: Prowler 920 Inground Robotic Pool Cleaner

QUESTIONS:
1) Does this look like a good setup?
2) What do I need to add for automation. What exactly will automation allow me to control?
3) Is there any need to add UV or Ozonator? If yes, what would you suggest?
4) Would you add an auto fill to the pool so a hose is not required for filling?
5) Is it true that the cartridge system does not require backwash?
6) Is one wide mouth skimmer enough or should I add a second skimmer (there are no trees around the pool)?
7) Is one main drain enough or should I add a second one?
8) Is 3 return inlets to the pool sufficient or should I add extra ones?
9) Are bubblers for the tanning ledge worth the money?
10) Textured vinyl steps to enter pool: has anyone had issues with algae or slipping?
11) Pool comes with 3 lights. Is this sufficient for a pool of this size or should I add additional?
12) Attached is a picture of the pool layout. Any suggestions?
13) Does it matter if the pool equipment is located outside on a pad? Will it last longer and function better if placed inside a pool cabana or mechanical enclosure?
14) Any other things we should consider or be aware of?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 37
1) Does this look like a good setup? Getting all Pentair equipment will allow easier automation. What is "Trade Grade"??
2) What do I need to add for automation. What exactly will automation allow me to control? @Jimrahbe can help here :)
3) Is there any need to add UV or Ozonator? If yes, what would you suggest? No!~NOT appropriate for outdoor pools
4) Would you add an auto fill to the pool so a hose is not required for filling? Nice to have- the only potential problem is if you ever had a leak the filler might hide it and cause you to get a hugeeee water bill. Alternatively you can ask the builder to put a spigot near the pool too. Makes watering flowers around the pool easier.
5) Is it true that the cartridge system does not require backwash? To clean filters you do a manual break down and hose 'em
6) Is one wide mouth skimmer enough or should I add a second skimmer (there are no trees around the pool)? Why a wide mouth versus regular one then?? Second skimmers are nice in case one clogs you'll still have circulation.
7) Is one main drain enough or should I add a second one? Main drains are entirely optional these days. One (set) will do. They are special VGB made to protect kids or hair ever getting sucked on the drain.
8) Is 3 return inlets to the pool sufficient or should I add extra ones? More is always better.
9) Are bubblers for the tanning ledge worth the money? They can be finicky. They might provide some circulation.
10) Textured vinyl steps to enter pool: has anyone had issues with algae or slipping? That was handbar is for. Get one.
11) Pool comes with 3 lights. Is this sufficient for a pool of this size or should I add additional? 3 properly placed is ok, 4 might be nicer.
12) Attached is a picture of the pool layout. Any suggestions? <will ruminate on this>
13) Does it matter if the pool equipment is located outside on a pad? Will it last longer and function better if placed inside a pool cabana or mechanical enclosure? A nice big equipment pad is always admired. A enclosure is a bonus. If heated with gas it must have ventilation out.

Maddie 🇺🇦

Addendum: All plumbed lines should be home-runned individually back to pump for best control of lines. If some line was clogged you have other working lines.
A return on the Baha shelf wall would help push debris in to the main pool.
A good Robot is good for pool cleaning over manual vacuuming.

4) Would you add an auto fill to the pool so a hose is not required for filling? Nice to have- the only potential problem is if you ever had a leak the filler might hide it and cause you to get a hugeeee water bill. Alternatively you can ask the builder to put a spigot near the pool too. Makes watering flowers around the pool easier.
5) Is it true that the cartridge system does not require backwash? To clean filters you do a manual break down and hose 'em
13) Does it matter if the pool equipment is located outside on a pad? Will it last longer and function better if placed inside a pool cabana or mechanical enclosure? A nice big equipment pad is always admired. A enclosure is a bonus. If heated with gas it must have ventilation out.

Maddie 🇺🇦
#4: was thinking about using this just to fill the pool and top up water when necessary. Can these be run manually (so I don't keep filling the pool if there is a leak)?
#5: so backwash not required with cartridge filters? Any benefit to have a backwash plumbed into my ABS drains in the event it is required?
#13: good suggestion, thanks. The enclosure will be attached to a cabana and not heated, but if it is will definitely keep this in mind. Would a standard mechanical bathroom exhaust fan be sufficient?
Addendum: All plumbed lines should be home-runned individually back to pump for best control of lines. If some line was clogged you have other working lines.
A return on the Baha shelf wall would help push debris in to the main pool.
A good Robot is good for pool cleaning over manual vacuuming.
Please elaborate on exactly what plumbed lines you are talking about. See attached diagrams.
Good suggestion regarding the Baha Shelf (I am assuming this is the same as the Sun or Tanning Deck)?

Attachments

• HowYourPoolWork 2.jpg
    HowYourPoolWork 2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 18
  • HowYourPoolWork.jpg
    HowYourPoolWork.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
4-Yes. Filler can be manual.
5- The function of Backwash requires a multiport valve placed on filters.
13- No, not a heated cabana, but one with a vent out for the gas to vent vapors.

To homerun each return means instead of one PVC line run around the pool with "exits" for each return into the pool, so you instead have one PVC line for *each* return. So per your plan of 3 returns you would have 3 lines in the ground. Plus a line for each skimmer and main drain. It gives you protection as well as ability to tweak water pattern.

13- No, not a heated cabana, but one with a vent out for the gas to vent vapors.
I thought you meant there was some requirement for an exhaust fan like in a laundry room without windows. Of course a natural gas combustible heater will require proper PVC venting for air intake / exhaust.

To homerun each return means instead of one PVC line run around the pool with "exits" for each return into the pool, so you instead have one PVC line for *each* return. So per your plan of 3 returns you would have 3 lines in the ground. Plus a line for each skimmer and main drain. It gives you protection as well as ability to tweak water pattern.
Thanks for elaborating. How would multiple lines connect to the pool equipment? I am guessing they would need to be joined into one one pipe near the equipment? Wouldn’t this setup also put a lot of extra stress on the pump?

Last edited:
This pic shows how multiple lines join together for single input into pump:

1036.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am following along on your thread since I am doing very much the same pool build.
Just ordered my Intellicenter today and will order my pool package as soon as I work out my final issue with the SWG / auto cover ladder problem! Good luck!

Regarding #6, definitely get a second skimmer for the reason that YippieSkippy stated. I worked for a swimming pool company and the client had one skimmer and the line collapsed. It was an older pool but it was middle of summer and the owner had no choice but to get it fixed. With a 2nd skimmer at least you could wait until the end of the season to repair it. The builder will say that will never happen and it almost never does but it's not a never thing. It's so easy to install now I would do it. Plus both my skimmers get a ton of debris in the spring so they are both working for their purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.