New Pool - Right size Pentair Quad D.E. Filter

pmahosky

Jun 2, 2021
Austin TX
I have a new pool build going and wanted to make sure the proper size Pentair Quad D.E. filter is installed. The pool is 13,000 gallons and has a Pentair IntelliFlo VSF Pump (3 HP, Pentair # 011056). There's 2 skimmers, 2 drains and 4 returns. I also have a heater (Pentair 400K BTU), Pentair in line chlorinator and Pentair UV Sanitizer.

It looks like the maximum flow for the pump is 160 GPM. The filter comes in 3 sizes (60, 80 and 100) and the 60 is rated for 120 GPM and the 80 and 100 are rated at 150 GPM. In short, I want to make sure the builder installs the correct / appropriate size Quad D.E. Filter. Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the forum!
When it comes to filters, the biggest you can afford and fit in your pad is what you want. The bigger the filter, the longer between taking it apart and cleaning it.
Have you considered a SWCG? Adding liquid chlorine every day can get old after a while.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks. I may go SWCG down the road. This is a new pool and an inline chlorinator was installed. Once the pool is finished and I've been maintaining it for a summer I will decide where to go. For now I wanted to focus on the filtration, pump, heater, other equipment to make sure it is correctly sized and high quality.

I will echo the go with as big as you can afford and fit for the filter. An oversized filter works better and requires less maintenance.

There is no way for a pool filter to be too big with residential equipment. The only mistake you can make is going too small.

P,

Filter flow rates were a lot more important when all we had were single speed pump always running at full speed.

With VS pumps it "almost" no longer matters... You are just not going to be running your pump at 160 GPM.. The whole point of having a VS pump is to run it slowly..

As Marty says the bigger the filter the better.. Not only do you not have to clean them as often, but the larger the filter the less back pressure there is and the slower you can run the pump.

Personally, I gave up on DE filters a long time ago.. I was "forced" to use a large cartridge filter at my house due to City rules... Now, 7 years later, I will never, ever go back to DE. Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing, no MPV valve to go bad, and no DE to screw with.. I clean my filter twice a year, but I could go a whole year between cleanings if I wanted.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Filter flow rates were a lot more important when all we had were single speed pump always running at full speed.

With VS pumps it "almost" no longer matters... You are just not going to be running your pump at 160 GPM.. The whole point of having a VS pump is to run it slowly..

As Marty says the bigger the filter the better.. Not only do you not have to clean them as often, but the larger the filter the less back pressure there is and the slower you can run the pump.

Personally, I gave up on DE filters a long time ago.. I was "forced" to use a large cartridge filter at my house due to City rules... Now, 7 years later, I will never, ever go back to DE. Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing, no MPV valve to go bad, and no DE to screw with.. I clean my filter twice a year, but I could go a whole year between cleanings if I wanted.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The last time I had a pool 40-50 years ago. It was and above ground pool with an OG D.E. filter. What a pain in the Rear. I chose the Quad D.E because it is really a cartridge filter that you charge with D.E. You clean it the same way as a cartridge filter and get the benefits of both worlds. I know the cleaning power of a D.E filter is overkill but for me the added benefit didn't outweigh the cost and time to charge the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.