New Pool Pump - Electrical problems

Sep 29, 2016
Dallas, TX
I'm having issues getting the new pump working and I don't really know what's going wrong. I have all the wires connected (as seen in the picture below), but electricity isn't flowing into the wires to the pump from my timer box. If I remove the bare wire that's connected to the brass on the outside of the pump (I believe this is coming from our heater), then electricity flows into the wires connected to the pump but the pump doesn't start. In all scenarios, the heater doesn't turn on. I made no changes to anything flowing to the heater. Any ideas on what's going wrong?20170529_180827.jpg20170529_180742.jpg

Check your circuit panel(s) and make sure you haven't tripped any breakers. The bond wire equalizes between all metal components of your pool... So if there's a fault in the electrical for your heater it could keep your pump off too.

If all your breakers are on, you could try turning them all off and back on to see if that resets it.

Check the main panel in the house and any sub panel for the pool.

Rick,

The bonding wire attached to the outside of the pump should have nothing to do with the pump running or not.

Are you trying to run the pump off of 120 volts or 220 volts?

How are you measuring the voltage on the pump input wires?

Somewhere you have a circuit breaker feeding your timer. Do you know where it is ? If so, can you look at the breaker and tell me if it is a single breaker or if it looks like two breakers with a little bar between them?

A picture of the timer with the wiring exposed would help and of the breaker also if you can..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rick,

The bonding wire attached to the outside of the pump should have nothing to do with the pump running or not.

Are you trying to run the pump off of 120 volts or 220 volts?

How are you measuring the voltage on the pump input wires?

Somewhere you have a circuit breaker feeding your timer. Do you know where it is ? If so, can you look at the breaker and tell me if it is a single breaker or if it looks like two breakers with a little bar between them?

A picture of the timer with the wiring exposed would help and of the breaker also if you can..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Trying to run it on 230v based on the door of the timer and there being two blue wires coming out of the conduit. I haven't measured the voltage, just have a non-contact voltage tester that confirms when the wires are live or not. Also, we don't have a seperate breaker for our pool equipment. It's all run off the house breaker. I double checked and non of the breakers were tripped. I have the pictures but I'm having trouble attaching them due to size being over the quota.. Let me try to make them smaller files.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed your pump is set for 220 volts... Check the old pump to see what it was set for (or if it's single voltage) and make sure you've got the voltage right.
I unfortunately don't have the old pump. I took it in to the pool store with me, and stupidly let them toss it instead of bringing it back with me.

Rick,

Please tell us what you had to do to replace the pump.. Did you just take the old pump out and install the new pump using the old whip (wiring)? Or, did you install a new whip and make new connection inside the timer box?

If you worked inside the timer box, we will need another pic with the metal panel removed and the wiring pulled out the best you can, to show all the connections.

And tell use where each conduct from your timer goes.. I assume one input, one to the pump, one to the heater, one to ??? Tells us which is which...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rick,

Please tell us what you had to do to replace the pump.. Did you just take the old pump out and install the new pump using the old whip (wiring)? Or, did you install a new whip and make new connection inside the timer box?

If you worked inside the timer box, we will need another pic with the metal panel removed and the wiring pulled out the best you can, to show all the connections.

And tell use where each conduct from your timer goes.. I assume one input, one to the pump, one to the heater, one to ??? Tells us which is which...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I took the old motor off the back of the pump, pulled off the impeller and seal plate and discarded the old motor. I used the old seal plate, but bought a new impeller and fittings.

I used the old wiring from the old pump, although I forgot to label which wire came from which connection. I've tried multiple times switching the wires up, but no combination has yielded results. I did no work in the timer box, that was all done before.

From the timer there are wires going to the heater, the blower for the hottub, the pool pump, pool/spa lights, and outlet plugs.

Can you show a picture of the switch?
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj521/DomingoMontoya/20170529_202614_zpsx45yr5qe.jpg
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj521/DomingoMontoya/20170529_202606_zps3ovnxnws.jpg
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj521/DomingoMontoya/20170529_202557_zpswibag6pf.jpg
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj521/DomingoMontoya/20170529_202408_zpshc4gcngy.jpg
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj521/DomingoMontoya/20170529_202451_zpsciww5gz5.jpg
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj521/DomingoMontoya/20170529_202552_zpse4h4jdbe.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I took a picture of the whole unit, a close up of the switch and outlet (you'll see the green light on the outlet) as well as my volt tester on the conduits coming from the timer. The lights, the spa blower, and the outlet all have electricity running through them. The pump and the heater do not. If I remove the bonding wire from the top of the pump, the pump wires and heater wires go live.

I can't get a good reading, and it's dark out. I'll try again in the morning.

Any clue why the bonding wire being attached to the pump puts no current through the heater and pump wires, but if I remove the bonding wire from the pump then both the wire sets go live?

Really going to need to know voltage line to line and each line to ground.

The bond wire should not affect the voltage going to the pump.

If it does, you probably have a serious problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.