New Pool Project for 2012, (ended up less pool more project)

Re: New to site and new pool project starting this year

tick221 said:
Glad someone got some rain, moved 3 yards of sand yesterday so it wouldn't get wetter than it already is.
Doncha just hate when that happens?

We had a 70% or thunderstorms and never even had a storm cloud come anywhere near us.
Yea I sat here all day yesterday watching the radar online and all the bigger rain events circled us all day long, it looked like there was some sort of invisable tube sticking straight up and was forcing all the wet weather to just slide around us. We could hear the thunder all day too.

Oh well at least the grass won't grow:)
That is the way I have been looking at the drought so far, and so far it has held up, lol, the only thing growing is the weeds. Although we no longer have any grass on either end of the house or in the backyard, between the pile of clay and the tractor tracks, all the grass is gone.

as far as motivation - get out early in the morning, the closer the outside temp is to your inside temp the easier it is :lol:
Yea, but the problem is we have gotten lazy, sleep pattern is all out of wack, plus I have never been a "Morning" person anyway, have always been nocturnal, lol.

I'm not a morning person by any means and I'm really not a morning person on the weekends. But I did get out with shovel in hand before 8am on both Saturday and Sunday, pretty sad when you look forward to a relaxing Monday at work :p

tick221 said:
Pretty sad when you look forward to a relaxing Monday at work :p

ROFLMAO, Now that is funny!

Well we did get out and unload our pavers off the truck this evening, God, I am wringing wet with sweat and the sun was behind the trees, and a lite breeze blowing, uggggggggs.

Just think, one more day on the uphill and then HUMP DAY, and it is all downhill from there! :whoot: :party: :cheers:

Everyone Please Be Safe, and have a Great Rest Of The Week!

Ok off to the shower, I smell, lol.

Hey Everyone,

I want to say thanks for following my thread, [s:2wq4pyo4]but I this is where it ends.[/s:2wq4pyo4]

After taking some time to reflect, I have come to realize this is my build journal, and where I am documenting everything involved in the process, hopefully it will be someplace where I can always look back and see where we started and what it took to get to the end.

While some of it really has nothing to do with pools per se everything I am posting here is all part of the process and connected to the overall build itself.

[s:2wq4pyo4]From here on I will just keep my thoughts to myself.[/s:2wq4pyo4]

I suppose I can freely express myself here, (more like babble, lol), BTW I am a true blonde so yes I am entitled to my moments.

The next entry will have a few pics attached.

Enjoy

Hey again everyone, :wave:

Well here we are almost to the end of another work week, one more day to go. :whoot:

Well we finally found a little motivation and got some work done, although most of it was not what we wanted or needed to do, but it had to be done I suppose.

So over the past several days, we have finished taking the wood furnace apart, (amazing how much lighter it is without all the cast iron), anyway we got it laid over and then picked it up and put it on the bed of the pickup so it would be easier to work on.

Here are a few pics of the rust damage:

This is what a Fire Chief Wood Furnace looks like under the cabinet, (well normally without the rust, lol)

Bottom view, lots of rust, the firebrick is stacked to the lower right hand corner, only 4 of 12 are not broken so we are going to replace all of them.
0711121342a.jpg

Mostly in the upper left hand corner here, but some of the other legs are rusted also. The entire bottom and all 4 legs will be replaced.
0711121342.jpg

The rusted piece of angle iron is where the side cabinet slides over to hold it in place along the bottom. we will be replacing the entire piece of angle, the leg and about 6-8 inch square in the lower front corner.
0711121343b.jpg

This was rather strange to find, the other side is like this a tiny bit toward the front, but this side is all the way across, it looks like they may have just missed their mark when they welded it, but one would think they would have seen it at the time.
I have never seen a piece of metal or weld "break/split" in such a straight line for such a long distance.
0711121343a.jpg

This is where the firebox is welded together and the split is just above where the top of the firebrick comes to inside. we are going to weld the entire seam, then see what we can do to reinforce this area on both sides. Having this crack is a real fire hazard!
0711121343.jpg

I will post more pics of the repair process as we go along, we are planning to remove all the rusted parts/areas, then using a powered wire wheel and maybe even sandblast to remove all the surface rust, then paint everything with several coats of Rust-Oleum High Heat Flat Black while we can still get to all the areas, replace what is rusted out, then paint the rest of it.

There are only 3 rivets holding the cabinet together and then it all just slips off, of course the ducting has to be removed from the top, but I guess we will have to start doing an annual inspection of the entire furnace now instead of just checking the firebrick and flue.

So in order to make all the repairs to the stove we are going to need the welders and torch, but since we had the meter pulled from the barn we had to get an outlet connected here at the house, but we still have to be able to get the equipment back and forth so we can use it but keep it dry if it ever rains, sooooooo, we decided to load it on our firewood trailer this will make it mobile, once we get the furnace done we will be building another smaller trailer just for the welding stuff, (we will be needing the firewood trailer here shortly), around here we never know when we will need to weld something, so we need it to always be mobile.

Anyway we spent the day yesterday cleaning up in the barn, (it has been forever since I could see this much of the floor in there, lol), so we could back the trailer in, man that dude is big, we cleared out a pretty big space inside the barn and the trailer is taking up all of it, the new trailer for the welding stuff will only be like 4' x 6', that should be plenty big enough for both welders, the torch, spare tanks, welding rods, ect.

I made the mistake of burning all the leaves we raked up around the barn entrance, with my COPD breathing the smoke yesterday has really taken it's toll today, I haven't felt worth a darn all day, and trying to cough all that junk up is murder.

We also did some cleanup around the pickup so we can get the welder in close enough to repair the furnace, and hauled a couple of buckets of brush and twigs down the the dig area to dispose of them, and hauled a couple loads of clay on the way back, so I guess we did make "some" progress on the pool area, lol.

Ok now for "something" actually pool related, grins.

This is our pile of pavers and stepping stones we will use to put the pool up, we still have 3 of the 4" x 8" x 16" pavers laying someplace else that we have to gather up.
0711121848.jpg

A different angle, you can also see the rebar we are using to anchor the bottom layer of landscape timbers to the ground.
0711121848a.jpg

OK that is enough rambling for one post, lol.

Hope you have enjoyed.

Have A Wonderful Evening, & Please Be Safe.

Cheers :cheers:

Hey Everyone, :wave: TGIF :whoot: :party: :whoot:

Yes we were keeping busy, but burning those leaves was a really stupid thing for me to do, I haven't been able to do anything for the last 2 days now, sighs.

I think I also pushed it in the heat that day also, God getting old bites.

Anyway, yea we could seriously use some rain, the ground is starting to fracture because it is so dry, we have rain in the area, but not close enough to help us yet, they are saying "maybe" tomorrow.

I will post an update once we get something done worth talking about.

Hope everyone has a Safe & Fun Weekend! :cheers:

Hey Samantha,
Sounds like you have been busy, girl!
I wish I had one fifth of your DIY savy! Not only do you excel at pool building, but other technical matters!
Yes, getting older isn't for wimps!
Keep us posted!
Cheers,
Liz

Northern California 9 X 18 Intex Ultra Frame Pool (mint in the box), 1 hp Hayward C-400 pump & cartridge filter Twins (Boy/Girl) 10 yrs old

Hey Everyone, :wave:

Well another weekend has come and gone, summer is slipping away quick!

This may not be such a bad thing this year, considering the extremely hot temps and lack of rain.

I posted the last time I think about how I screwed up by burning leaves last week, well I knew I had done the wrong thing by that evening, but it wasn't until the next day that I learned just how bad it was, :hammer: I haven't been out of the house since until daybreak this morning, and I am already done for the day, this COPD is no fun.

Anyway, at least we made some progress during the few hours we worked this morning.... :whoot:

I snapped a few pics before I came in, so will post those for your viewing pleasure. :)

So anyway, we got all the seriously rusted out parts and sections cut out, too a grinder and leveled out all the old welds, then ran a bead down the length of the firebox where it had split on the worse side, (thinking we might need to run 2 more beads before we are done), then we put a wire wheel on the grinder and started cutting the rust off, man that is going to be a job.

Once we get the bulk of the rust off I think we may use some MA and see if we can get the rest off.

We will be getting the paint tomorrow, so once we put a little MA on the pitted rust areas we can use some BS then rinse well and let it dry in the hot sun, then wipe it down with some mineral spirts and paint.

It didn't dawn on me until this morning when we started working on it, but they didn't put a drop of paint on the inside of that furnace, they just painted the outside of the front and back, and put the cabinet on to cover everything else! :hammer:

If I had known that 20 years ago when we bought it I would have taken the cabinet off then and painted everything before we even set it up and built our first fire, if we had done that I don't think it would be in the shape it is now.

Ok so picture time!

This shows where we cut the corner out, and removed the rusted bottom angle iron after we got the bottom plate off.
0717121128b-O.jpg

Side view of the corner, I think we need to cut another inch or so down because I don't think we are into really good steel yet.
We still need to break out the square and soapstone so we know our lines are straight.
0717121128c-O.jpg

The next 2 just show how much better it looks after the wire wheel, lol.
0717121128a-O.jpg

0717121128_O.jpg

A couple shots of the welded seam, (not one of our best weld jobs, but we were forced to tack it then use the torch to heat and use a BIG hammer to beat the high spots back down, then tack another spot and repeat until we got all the way across, then ran a solid bead from side to side.
0717121129-O.jpg

It will look much better after a little grinding, a couple more passes with the welder, and some paint, lol.
0717121129a-O.jpg

OK enough babbling about the furnace, let's move on to more "Pool" related type stuff, lol, (hey at least these pics have water in them).

Go back and compare these pictures of the pond with the first set I posted, it is normal for it to go down a foot or two by the end of summer, but it is already down at least 4 feet from when I took the first set of pics, and the summer is not even half over with yet!
0717121135a_O.jpg

0717121134-O.jpg

0717121134a-O.jpg

We need to spend some serious time with the brush hog and chainsaw down there, the dam is way over grown, and now would be a good time to clean up the head end where we left a couple of stumps and they have sprouts growing out of them now.
0717121135-O.jpg

OK well enough babbling for now, lol, I have been up since 5pm yesterday, so going on 21 hours now? Guess I need to go get a nap, lol.

Hey liz, :wave:

I don't now about being all that, lol, but we can hold our own, honestly it is mostly about having all the right tools and equipment, and a few years of learning and experience, I am not an expert at much, but I know at least a little about allot of different things.

Since I was stuck in the house since last week we got to talking about our DVD collection and which shows and movies we still wanted to get, so I decided to start building a new Database to catalogue our collection, then we can print out what we still want to get, so at least the past week hasn't been a total loss, lol.

K, time to babysit my pillow for a few hours.

Hope Everyone has enjoyed this post.

Hoping you all have a Great work week, and Please Be Safe!

P.S.

I forgot to mention the Poison Ivy I got into last week....scratching, scratching, itch, scratch....lol.

Re: New Pool Project for 2012, (ended up less pool more proj

Hope you all had a good week and are having an even better weekend! :whoot: :party: :whoot:

Well not much to add for this post, mostly just adding something so you don't think I fell off the earth, giggles.

It hasn't been a very productive week for us, we wanted to stop by our local farm supply on Wed on our way home from the VA, but we stopped and picked up a couple of brand spanking new 15" trailer wheels, (found them on CL for $65.00 and they even have some so-so tires on them), we have 3 14" wheels that fit the trailer but no tires, but we have a bunch of 15" tires but only one wheel and it already had a new tire on it, but the 14" tires we were running dry rotted to the point they both separated and fell apart just pulling it from the barn to the house a couple of times, sighs, anyway because we couldn't move the welding equipment we got nothing done on the furnace.

Anyway after we stopped and picked up the wheels it was like 108 out and our car started acting up, (vapor locking), so it took us 4 hours to make a 30 min trip, we had to sit on the side of the road like 5 times waiting for whatever is causing the issue to cool down, (not the engine, it was running normal temp), but by the time we finally got on the highway for the last leg we decided not to make any more stops and came on home, (still ended up having to let the car cool down 1.6 miles from the house, ugggggggggs.

So between some Doc appts, the high temps, a little rain over 2 days we just haven't gotten anything done, we did get to the farm store today and got a few supplies, so we are trying to get something done this afternoon, but it isn't as cool as they predicted, well it doesn't feel like it anyway, so we are doing a little bit, coming in and cooling off then going back out again.

I will try and make another post with some pics tonight or tomorrow depending on if we get anything done worth noting.

If not Please Be Safe and have a Wonderful Weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well it is official, today is a rain out, YEAAAAAAAAAAAA. :whoot:

You all need to get your affairs in order the world is coming to an end....it has rained 3 days this week!...(Just Kidding about the end of the world coming, lol).

We did make some progress yesterday, very small but moved forward anyway.

We got the doors for the furnace cleaned up and 2 coats of paint put on, then started running electric to the shed, got the ditch dug for the conduit, conduit entrance hole cut in the wall, and got all the holes drilled and tapped, (for 3/4" PVC conduit fittings, 8 total, 4 on each side) in the 2" pull box we are going to use as a distribution bus.

We already have a breaker box under the house from when we moved the well pressure tank and controls from the barn so we decided to just use that versus mounting another one in the shed, so we are using a 2" PVC rigid conduit to pull all the wires into the shed, from the 2" pull box each circuit will run thru 3/4" or 1/2" PVC conduit to plastic outlet & light switch boxes, (since it is a metal shed we wanted to keep all the power inside PVC conduit and boxes, even the 4' fluorescent light fixture is hung using wire ties so it is not in direct contact with the metal of the shed), and the shed will be grounded as well.

I was hoping to get some pics after todays work but since it's raining I guess that is out.

On the bright side I guess I can get a nice nap in and do some house work, (maybe shampoo the living room carpet, (OH FUN)).

Well enough for now since no pics, pouting.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

Please Be Safe and Have Fun! :whoot: :party:

Hope you all had a Great Monday to get the work week started.

We managed to get a few small things done today despite having to wait until late morning for the ground to dry out from our much needed rain shower yesterday.

Even with an almost complete cloudy sky all day it was still very hot and muggy out, it is amazing how fast weather like this takes it out of you, uggggggs.

Anyway we did as much work on the electric to the shed as we could, we have added a piece of 14 ga sheetmetal between the 2" J-Box on the inside and the shed wall to help give it some strength, but we want to paint it before we get everything all glued together, but we have to wait until Wed when we go shopping to get the paint.

After that we cut some weeds, lol, they are the only thing growing, no grass.

I did learn something today though, I guess the old saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" just isn't right, lol.
After all my years of working with sheetmetal of all kinds I found out today that you can actually remove the galvanized coating from steel....it takes some work but it is possible..Imagine that....I hate welding on galvanized steel, that stuff stinks and leaves a sweet but nasty taste in your mouth, yuck.

Anyway to top off the day we laid some concrete pavers we had laying around out front for a new walkway from the driveway to the front porch, still nothing fancy but it is much better than what we already had out there, (at some point along the way we are going to build a new fully enclosed front porch, it will be much bigger than what we have now), and once we get that built then we will pour a regular concrete walkway.

Ummmmmmmm, does anyone know the winning Powerball numbers for the "Next" drawing? I need to win big time, lol.

Well I doubt I will make another post before the end of the week, if it doesn't rain too much tonight and it doesn't get too hot tomorrow we have a few small things we want to get done, then Wed is shopping day so that day is shot, and it is "supposed" to rain again on Thur, (crossing fingers, and hoping for plenty), but as soon as we can get everything we need and good weather we will get enough done on the furnace and shed electric so I can snap a few pics for you.

Thanks to everyone that has been following this thread, kinda nice knowing folks are interested even if we don't have actual pool related stuff going on right now..BUT...We will one of these days!

Have a Wonderful Week and Please Be safe!

Hey everyone, :wave:

Well we have made it over the "Hump" this week! :whoot:

I know I said I would most likely not make another post until later in the week, BUT...things went really good today, we went to town early and got back home by 11 am, so we managed to get some work done this afternoon, mostly things we needed to do just in case we get the rain they are predicting! We got the 2" conduit ran from the house to the shed, got the section above ground painted, painted the sheetmetal to brace the shed wall on the inside, and got the Pull Box all mounted, so if it rains the rest of the week at least we can work inside the shed and connect some outlets and switches for lights and stuff, oh and got the 4 x 8 sheet of peg board cut into pieces so we can get that mounted also.

I DID take Pics today! :whoot:

Someone started a thread the other day asking about cutting PVC with a miter saw, so I thought I would snap a couple of pics when we cut some of ours today, this was just a short piece to connect the conduit to the pull box, _just long enough to slid inside each piece and leave no gap.
0801121451-O.jpg

This is just after the cut, you can still see the small burrs.
0801121451a-O.jpg

This is after scrapping the burrs off with a razor knife, whole process took maybe 2 mins, well maybe 3 if you count measuring and wiping it clean, lol..
0801121454-O.jpg

The next 3 are just different views of the pull box showing where we drilled and tapped 8 holes for the 3/4" conduit to connect.
I doubt we will ever use all 8 holes, but we figured better to add extras while we could get to it than need more somewhere along the line and have to fight getting them put in. We figure we can always put some screw in plugs in the holes we don't use right now.
0801121429-O.jpg

The connection point at the top of the picture (the one pointing up) goes thru the wall and the connection is then made on the outside.
0801121429b-O.jpg

0801121429a-O.jpg

This pic didn't come out so good, sighs. anyway you can see where we have the pull box mounted in the corner, and have the first piece of 3/4" connected at the bottom left side, and have the first pull of Romex (10-2 w/ground) wire done.

The white cap/plug is for sch 40 white PVC, but it was all we could find without running all over town this morning, so we just grabbed one for now, it is just resting in the hole, we don't want to glue anything in there just in case we need use it for conduit later, (mostly we just don't want a hole mice can get in thru).
We will paint the plug grey later on.
0801121729-O.jpg

The last 2 are where the 2" conduit is coming out of the ground and connect to the pull box.
We painted it white all the way down to where the elbow touches the bottom of the ditch, I know the Grey PVC is supposed to be UV protected, but I didn't care for the way it looked and I know with a couple of coats of paint it looks better and IS UV protected.
0801121729b-O.jpg

0801121729a-O.jpg

We still have to get some silicone around where the conduit goes thru the wall, and we are going to go all the way around the bottom to seal all the gaps, (you can see how much light is coming thru the bottom of the wall to the right of the pull box).

We are debating on if we should seal the inside, outside or both, what do you guys think?

We are also hoping to get the top of the walls sealed too, but that may end up being a project for next year.

Well that is about it for today, hope you enjoyed.

Hope everyone has a Great rest of the Week, and Please Be Safe!

Well another work week behind us, it's the weekend yeaaaaaaaa! :whoot: :party: :whoot:

It certainly wasn't draught busting but we did get a really good rain yesterday and we are getting more now, (thunder woke me up).

I was going to post last night but we got so busy sorting out some junk we had in our storage closet by the time we finished I was beat.

We managed to get the first run of power all connected yesterday, so we now have Electric in the shed without having to run an extension cord, yeaaaaa. :whoot:

We wired in 3 single gang and 1 double gang outlets on the work bench, 2 of the single gang and the double gang are all mounted for easy access, but the 3rd single gang is mounted under the bench out of sight, this one will be used to power the bench grinder and small bench top drill press, we figured since they would be plugged in all the time having their own separate outlet would be a good thing.

I thought about taking some pics yesterday, but right now the inside of the shed looks like a disaster area, (not something I want to show off right now, lol), seems we have found it very connivent to just store anything and everything we gather up while working in the shed even though we don't have it organized yet, sooooo it just kinda gets piled up, sighs.

Anyway that is what we focused on yesterday after getting the power connected, trying to sort everything and get it put in jars, plastic 1 gallon tubs, and boxes, (writing the contents on each storage container), we got about 1/4 of it done before it got too hot in there to work, and then it came up a much needed rain, so we continued in the house as stated above.

We have just about any tool, and anything (parts), we could possibly need to do whatever we want but finding it "When" we need it has turned into a nightmare, doing a 2 min job is taking several hours after working to find a tool, nut, bolt, screw, ect. and I am tired of it, so we are going to get stuff organized so we can find what we need "When" we need it, (wish me luck, lol).

Isn't it amazing how doing one thing always turns into 3 or 4 other things you figure out needs to be done in the process?

Oh we kinda got one piece of peg board hung the other day, so yesterday we finished that piece up also, it is now ready to use once we get some pegs for it, (we needed more screws to mount the other 2 pieces, but couldn't figure out where they were, thus our decision to start getting stuff organized, (we DID find the screws we needed)).

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa it is raining pretty good out here now, guess we will have to find something inside to work on today.

Well enough babbling for now.

Hope you all have a Wonderful weekend, have Fun & Enjoy.

Please Be Safe!

hey Everyone, :wave:

Hope you all had a good Monday to get the work week off to a good start, and more importantly I hope you had a GREAT Weekend!

Well we still haven't gotten any drought busting rain, but we ARE getting some, (enough to make the grass and weeds grow anyway, Uggggggggs, lol).

We did have a pretty nice day today, partly cloudy, 91 or so for the high and much lower humidity, so we managed to get some serious work done on the furnace, YEAAAAAAAA.

Still have to cut new legs and the bottom panel and get those welded on, plus cleaning the rust off and paint, hoping to get most of the rust removed and paint done tomorrow.

I snapped a few pics of our work today.

First thing we removed some more of the rusted area, and got everything nice and square.
0806121123-O.jpg

Another angle after prepping for new metal.
0806121123a-O.jpg

We managed to find a piece of 10ga big enough to make the whole corner in one piece, much better than having to piece mill it together, but bending it without a brake press was a pain, had to clamp it to the tractor and use a BFH to bend it, radius on the corners didn't come out that great but they will do the job, smiles.
we cut the blank a little bigger than we needed just to make sure, and after we got the bends made the legs came out a tad long, and we were going to cut them down but got lazy, lol, besides once everything is put together nobody but us will know, so shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.

The next 4 are just different angles of what we have finished so far, the corner is all replaced and ground down, and the bottom angle iron that the side panel slides onto is welded in place and all ground down.
0806121630-O.jpg

0806121631-O.jpg

0806121631b-O.jpg

0806121631a-O.jpg

OK so that was our day, lol, we are hoping to make as much progress tomorrow, and get it all painted, (they are calling for more rain to move in late Wed.), so if we can get the paint done we shouldn't have anymore rust to contend with.

Well that is enough for today, and Thanks again to those that have been following my babbling, lol.

Hope you all have a Wonderful Week!

Please Be Safe!

P.S. I forgot to mention, we have decided to hold off on anymore timber placement for now, we are thinking once we get the furnace done we will start moving more clay and extend our area another couple of feet in all directions, since we were not able to get the pool this year knowing our luck next year we won't be able to find the 22' Intex and will have to go with a bigger size, (smaller is no longer an option, lol), so we are going to plan for it just in case, and if we do get the 22 footer then we will just have a little more room around it, shrugs.

Well we are over the hump, and just one more day left until the weekend! :whoot: :party: :whoot:

Hope you are all having a Great Week!

We didn't get anything done yesterday, they had predicted rain for yesterday and today, but we got NOTHING!

We were afraid to uncover everything and drag the welding equipment out yesterday, but today we figured we would see what we could get done and temp the rain Gods, still didn't get anything, lol, (of course we didn't drag the welding equipment out either).

We did get a new bottom plate for the furnace cut, (dug up an old piece of sheetmetal we had laying around, it had some rust on it, but is much heavier than what was on there before, so we cleaned it up and are using it), rust removed and a couple of coats of paint on one side, (the side that will be inside after it is welded in place).

Then we dug out an old piece of 4" x 4" square tubing and made a new set of legs out of it.

Yea I took pics, lol.

Well the first 2 are showing where we repaired the rusted area, and now have it painted, our main concern was getting the area inside where we would not be able to paint very easy once the bottom is welded back on, but we went ahead and painted everything we had cleaned up while we were at it.

0809121142a-O.jpg

We will have to sand off small areas where we will weld the legs and bottom on but we wanted as much painted as possible.
0809121142-O.jpg

This is the new bottom plate, all cut to size, cleaned and one side painted, (yea it has some pretty good rust pits on it but it should be fine), BTW all of these pics are showing the color as Grey, when in fact it is Flat Black, not sure why the color difference in the pics, (scratching head).
0809121142b-O.jpg

The next 2 re of the piece of 4" x 4" tubing we cut the legs out of.

As you can see we had used a torch on it at one point.
0809121130a-O.jpg

0809121130-O.jpg

The first thing was to cut both ends so it was all nice and square again.
0809121139a-O.jpg

0809121139-O.jpg

Then we cut it length wise along all 4 sides, thus making 4 pieces of angle iron out of it.

Once it was all cut into the proper size pieces we put the wire wheel to them so they are nice and clean and ready to be welded to the furnace, (not going to paint these until after they have been welded, we will have easy access so no need to paint ahead of time).
0809121224-O.jpg

0809121224a-O.jpg

0809121225-O.jpg

The weather forecast for the next several days is low to mid 80s and very low humitity so hopefully we can get all the welding finished, rust removed and painting done, hoping to have the furnace inside the shed by the end of the weekend.

Well that about does it for this post, with some luck I will be able to post some more progress over the next couple of days.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow, remember TGIF! :whoot:

If I don't get to another post before the weekend I hope it is a Wonderful and Safe one for all of you!

Hi gal!
Looks like you are working too hard! Must feel good to get so much done!
We are starting a new project (paver patio), and could use some help!:grin:
Northern California 9 X 18 Intex Ultra Frame Pool (mint in the box), 1 hp Hayward C-400 pump & cartridge filter Twins (Boy/Girl) 10 yrs old

Hey Liz, :wave:

Unfortunately we are not working hard enough or getting nearly enough done right now, it is either too dang hot or it is raining or "supposed" to, uggggggggs.

From the current weather forecast for the next week it looks like we may have a nice window to get more done!

Well glad you guys are getting something done, and a new project at that, oh wow.

So how can I help? I can give you tons of support from here, giggles. Virtual pats on the back maybe? I will root for you regardless, (Now where did I put that cheerleader outfit?), haha, doubt it would fit if I did find it!

How big is the patio going to be?

Hey everyone, :wave:

TGIF! :whoot: :party: :whoot: The weekend is here!

Well we had an absolutely wonderful day here today, it didn't even make it into the 80's YEAAAAAAAAAAA!

There was a light but pretty steady breeze blowing most of the day, enough to give me a chill a couple of times, God it felt so nice.

We kinda screwed up last night and stayed up too late so we got off to a late start, but with the mild temps we made good time non the less, Smiles.

We got the legs and bottom welded on the furnace, then painted everything we would not have easy access to once it was stood up, and then it was time to get it off the truck and back on solid ground.

I got a bunch of pics today, even snapped a few of our welding equipment and the trailer we have been using to move it around.

So now it's Picture time! :whoot:

K, this is the Lincoln 220 Buzzbox.
0810121409-O.jpg

This is the torch outfit.
0810121409b-O.jpg

The next 2 are the Mig welder & misc junk laying on the trailer, lol.
0810121409a-O.jpg

0810121408-O.jpg

This is just a shot of our firewood trailer we have been using to move the welding stuff around, we will have to bring it back up one more time tomorrow for another couple of small welds on the furnace, and then it will be time to empty the trailer and get ready to start cutting firewood in another month or so.

One of these days we are gonna have to get some paint on the frame, lol.
0810121410-O.jpg

OK so now on to the furnace, we are coming down the home stretch with this phase, yeaaaaaaa!

Next 2 show the legs and bottom welded in place and all painted.
0810121405-O.jpg

0810121405a-O.jpg

Lifting it off the truck bed.
0810121440-O.jpg

We set it down on a couple of timbers and repositioned the strap so we could stand it up.
0810121447-O.jpg

Finally have it back on it's own 4 feet, lol.

The next 4 are just different angles to show what the whole things looks like when it is standing upright.
0810121653b-O.jpg

0810121457a-O.jpg

0810121457-O.jpg

0810121457b-O.jpg

This is the backside where we have most of the rust cleaned up and painted
0810121653-O.jpg

The frontside cleaned up some more and painted.
0810121653a-O.jpg

We are gonna have to wait until next week to finish the rust removal and painting, our wire wheel for the small grinder is about shot and we are on the last can of paint, I think we can get some more of the flat open areas done tomorrow, but the wire wheel is too narrow to reach the corners in most places now.

There are a couple of brackets bolted to the front that we will take off tomorrow and use the wire wheel on the bench grinder to clean those and get them painted.

If we do the smart thing and get to bed on time and get out of bed early enough in the morning we should get everything we can done to the furnace, then empty the trailer and start working on shelves and drawers in the shed, if we make good progress on that then we will fill the rest of our wait time for next week by maybe running the brushhog, and maybe haul some more clay to the backyard, come to think about it, we could start working on the roof over the firewood storage area along side the shed, lol, we have plenty to do, I don't think we will get bored.

Oh just a FYI, I know everyone loves pics here, and we all post plenty, so I use a commercial program to optimize all of my pics so they load quicker, now I know not everyone has a program like that but there are a couple of websites that will do it for you, it takes a little more time and effort but it really makes a difference when a whole page full of pics has to download.

I will see if I can find those sites and post a link to them for those interested.

Ok enough babbling for today, we still have to go cover the furnace and pick everything up and get it all put away for the evening.

I hope you all have a Wonderful Weekend!

Please Be Safe!

Hope you all had a Super Wonderful Saturday! :whoot: :party: :whoot:

We had another great day here, it was a tad warmer but with the mild breeze it was nice working weather, and wow was it ever cool this morning.

We made some progress on the furnace today, got the entire back cleaned and painted, then took the wire wheel off the bench grinder and put it on the hand grinder, it was big enough in dia to reach the nooks and crannies on the inside we couldn't reach, so we got allot of that done, and painted, still have another couple of days worth of work to finish it up, but we are getting there, yeaaaaa.

We used all the paint we had so now it is waiting for the next paycheck before we can go any further.

After we ran out of paint we moved to the shed.

Our power company has a deal where we can recycle our old fridge that died, (the one that used up our pool money to replace), anyway they are coming after that in a couple of weeks, keeps us from moving it and we get $35.00 toward our power bill, but we decided to take the recycling thing a step further, we took all the shelves and drawers out and the mounting strips for the shelves, so we can use them in the shed.

Today we mounted the slid part for the drawers under the work bench, it came out pretty good, and now we have some storage room that is not taking up any real space, smiles.

Spent some time cleaning up in there, and organizing the junk we already have piled inside, then called it a day.

I didn't take any pics today, nothing worthwhile on the furnace and I am not about to take any pics of the inside of that shed until we get it in order, right now it looks like a disaster area, lol, anyone know the number for FEMA?

They are calling for another nice day tomorrow, maybe some rain later in the day to overnight into Monday, we will see..lol.

Well enough for tonight, Hope Everyone has a WONDERFUL Sunday!

Please Be Safe!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.