New pool Pebble Sheen question

DuPoolTime

Jul 20, 2021
Southern California
Hello! We are having a new pool built and our pool builder is experiencing the expected Covid related delays.
Because of equipment delays the PB would like to apply Pebble Sheen first and then wait with the pool empty for the equipment to fill the pool which could be weeks or longer. This is very different from how we understood pebble needed to be applied which essentially required it to be filled the next day. We are in Southern California, so thinking of the sun baking the brand new pebble surface without water has us nervous.

Has anyone else had a newly pebbled but unfilled pool for a long period of time? Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

• Angry
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Thanks for adding us. Our new pool is rounding the corner to being finished. Our big questions is regarding the application of Pebble Sheen. Our pool builder would like to apply it before equipment arrives, which could be weeks or months because Covid delays. We have always understood that pebble needed to be acid washed and filled the day after or very quickly after. Having the pool sit empty with newly applied pebble in the baking sun for weeks seems against what we've read and would love any feedback we can get.

Welcome to TFP.

That would be a non-starter for me. Pool plaster is designed to cure underwater. Leaving the plaster exposed for a long period of time would allow shrinkage and cracks especially in a hot climate.

Let's see what @onBalance says.

Reactions: onBalance
Welcome to TFP.

That would be a non-starter for me. Pool plaster is designed to cure underwater. Leaving the plaster exposed for a long period of time would allow shrinkage and cracks especially in a hot climate.

Let's see what @onBalance says.
Thank you for the quick reply. We share your fear about that. The PB said that Pebble Sheen won't begin curing until we put water in, but that just sounds objectively wrong. We think he is doing everything they can to move the project along which is appreciated but this feels like Russian roulette and we doubt any problems by leaving it will void warranty.

Unbelievable. I can't believe a pool builder would make such a suggestion. I hope you don't allow that to happen.
+1 to what ajw22 wrote.
Thank you. We're confused as to why they want to do that also. This builder has been working for decades and has done a lot of Pebble Sheen. He actually told us early on how they have to acid wash and fill the next day then suddenly changed his mind. We think it's because of all the Covid delays and they want to get the pebble in before that runs out too, but doing it the wrong way that could even void warranty is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Thank you. We're confused as to why they want to do that also.
Do you owe them a check when they do plaster by chance?

As others have said, that is terrible advice from the pool builder. With that, plus odd/lengthy equipment delays, I would keep an eye out for the potential that your pool builder is having cash flow problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
they want to get the pebble in before that runs out too,

If that was the motivation, which I doubt, the builder can warehouse the bags of material for your plaster someplace. He doesn’t have to apply it until everything is ready.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Are they a certified installer? Seems like installing it against Pebble Tec's standard procedure would void the warranty.
They're the general. Our understanding is that they are subcontracting a certified applicator to do the Pebble. We agree, we even spoke with Pebble Technology and they confirmed it would likely void their warranty. I'm not sure about the applicator's warranty, but we don't want to have to chase them down after the fact to have them re-do.

If that was the motivation, which I doubt, the builder can warehouse the bags of material for your plaster someplace. He doesn’t have to apply it until everything is ready.
100% agree. We've suggested that multiple times with different parts of the build. It became an issue when our waterline tile was almost out of stock because they waited weeks to order even after we let them know it was limited. We had to hustle to get it and then insisted they store it in our garage.

Last edited:
Do you owe them a check when they do plaster by chance?

As others have said, that is terrible advice from the pool builder. With that, plus odd/lengthy equipment delays, I would keep an eye out for the potential that your pool builder is having cash flow problems.
That's a good point. We did get a prelim lein notice that they hadn't fully paid for shotcrete after it was installed (and after we had paid in advance). In that case, I called in the owner who told me it wasn't uncommon to get those notices which apparently is true. But still not comforting to unexpectedly get something like that in the mail. Fair to say it's become pretty obvious that Covid has caught our PB flat footed. They're a smaller company who are experienced and very self confidant after doing this for decades, but that has also become a detriment because they have a hard time adjusting to all of the changes (which to be fair seems to be an across the board issue).

But yes to the central point, we're worried about the Pebble issue. We called Pebble Technologies who confirmed it's not good and supposedly have a call with the PB today.

Last edited:
hey want to get the pebble in before that runs out too,

I was talking with our builder this past Thursday and she said that a few colors are out of stock for Pebble Sheen and that we should choose the color sooner rather than later so she can reserve it (we are in Los Angeles). I believe Ocean Blue, Arctic White and one of the medium blue shades are the ones out/low and that they are not sure when the next shipment will arrive...

Edit* She did not say that we should apply the plaster and wait, but we also have our equipment stored in our garage, and are just waiting on tile...which we still need to choose :oops:

Last edited:
I was talking with our builder this past Thursday and she said that a few colors are out of stock for Pebble Sheen and that we should choose the color sooner rather than later so she can reserve it (we are in Los Angeles). I believe Ocean Blue, Arctic White and one of the medium blue shades are the ones out/low and that they are not sure when the next shipment will arrive...

Edit* She did not say that we should apply the plaster and wait, but we also have our equipment stored in our garage, and are just waiting on tile...which we still need to choose :oops:
Thank you for this information! We're also in LA so this is a help to know since the color we picked out is Blue Granite, right in that mid blue range. I told our builder we had to have the equipment installed and ready to go before we did Pebble, we just are not going to take any chances so hopefully we aren't going to get any surprises. Of course no word on when equipment will show up or when the plumbers will be available so it all may be a while. We asked our builder MONTHS ago to PLEASE lock down equipment and they ignored it and now we're in an undefined holding pattern. At least most everything else is complete (tile, coping, decking poured) so we just have a nicer looking hole in the ground to look at as we begin to landscape while waiting. Good luck on your pool!

Reactions: nicolispicoli
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.