New pool - PB says 30 days running before heater can be used

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Our ISR instructor just built an in-ground pool in her backyard which is supposed to me completed 100% within the next few days. She is eager to get everything fired up so she can get ISR lessons started for the year but her PB said they cannot run the heater until they have had the pool running for 30 days. I do not know what kind of heater other than natural gas but I have never heard of this break-in period before the heater can be used.

Anyone have thoughts? Is the PB just being really conservative since it would be under warranty? The only thing which comes to mind is the gunnite is fresh and the PB doesn't want the water warmer than the ground temp. I am sending her to TFP for her pool bible.

I’m no expert but I’m in the process of building a gunite pool and from my understanding it’s the brushing period of the plaster and what is brushed off during those first 4 weeks that wants you to not use the heater. If that stuff gets into the heater I believe it ruins it.
Now a salt system also can’t be used during that time to allow the plaster to properly cure.

The reason is plaster can clog up the heater and once it is there is no way to get it out.. You would have to buy another heater...

Make sure they have a heater bypass so it does not go through the heater all the time...

30 days is correct for new plaster and a heater. The plaster dust will bake onto the heat exchanger. I waited 30 days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.