Tallahassee, FL
These are our numbers:

CYA - sample not cloudy at all
FC -0 (no pink)
CC - 1
PH - 8.0
AK- 150 PPM
CH - 190 PPM
Salt (can't test yet, need recommendations on best way to test)

We just put a sock with CYA in it....80 oz. and running pump.
Not sure where to go from here. Do we go ahead and add chlorine?
We have an SWG
Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TFP!

Chlorine is the most important thing to worry about. Liquid Chlorine, liquid shock or unscented laundry bleach are the best choices. You probably need to follow the SLAM Process process to get a handle on it. Get your salt test from TFtestkits.net

Once you start to dissolve the CYA in the pool assume the amount you added is in the pool water and start the SLAM using that CYA for your shock level FC.

Okay, so assume CYA is at 30 even if it is salt water? To lower PH it says 49 oz of muriatic acid....and to go from 0 to 28 FC it says to add 836 oz of 6% bleach. (The bleach is household bleach, no scent.) Does this sound accurate?
Thank you so much for all your help!

Yes you don’t want to raise CYA above that because you have to hold an ever higher FC to SLAM. I came out with 58 oz. of MA and your number is correct for the FC.

- - - Updated - - -

That was assuming going from 8.0 to 7.2 based on your earlier numbers.

Last edited:
I just reread his posts. 80 oz in a sock is going to put him way over 30. I think he should take the sock out and measure the CYA tomorrow morning or he is going to over shoot CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just reread his posts. 80 oz in a sock is going to put him way over 30. I think he should take the sock out and measure the CYA tomorrow morning or he is going to over shoot CYA.

With the SWCG the OP has, 70ppm is the recommended CYA level, so 80oz will only get it a little over halfway there.

No need to take it out. SLAM the pool based on all the CYA being in there which will put you around 40ppm and ignore everything but FC until the SLAM is done.

If you leave the sock in I would SLAM for a level of 40 CYA. that would mean holding FC at 16 instead of 12 for the slam. According to pool math your 80 oz of CYA will bring the level to 40.

Question...

I also have green (dead algae) at the bottom of my pool. Why wouldn't vacuuming be the first thing to do prior to adding chlorine or cya? I figure get rid of as much of the solid material as possible first before adding chemicals.

If the algae is green, it is not dead.

If you can vac to waste that is good to remove it.

Adding 80 oz of cya should drop your ph from 8 to 7.2. Maybe don't need so much MA.

Welcome to the forum.

The pH estimation as stated on the Effects of Adding Chemicals is not that accurate under certain conditions. So be aware of that.

True. Although if their ph really is 8 and ta 150, it should be pretty close. Hard to use a pool test kit to know 8 ph from 8+. Just chiming in to mention that the ph effects of cya should be taken into account.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been a long time lurker. Lots of good info here.

If you leave the sock in I would SLAM for a level of 40 CYA. that would mean holding FC at 16 instead of 12 for the slam. According to pool math your 80 oz of CYA will bring the level to 40.
We have been working on the SLAM. The pool is clean looking. We forgot to take the FC last night. I'm not sure it does not have a very slight haze...not sparkling.....
FC 8
CC 0
CYA 50
PH 7.8-8
TA 160
Do we need to continue SLAM and raise FC again? or do we start to try and adjust the PH a bit and continue to raise the CYA. At present the original amount of stabilizer is at 1/3 the amount we had in the sock. It originally did not fit in the skimmer, but it fits now and is inside of it. My husband (this is wife) put the sock with the stabilizer in front of an inlet.
I still don't have the ability to test for Salt. I can take it to Leslies.
Thanks for all the help!

As your FC is below 10 your pH of 7.8 is correct. Adjust that using acid for a pH of 7.2.

Raise your FC back to 20 ppm and maintain that until you pass the three criteria. Squeeze the sock some to dissolve the CYA granules.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.