pxranger

May 21, 2022
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I posted earlier about my foray into pool ownership this year. Added CYA a few days ago. Tri-chlor is done as of today. Took my readings with my new test kits and these are the results:

FC - 5
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 100
CH - 140
CYA - 50 - 55 (Taylor Kit vs. the TF-Pro)

So if I understand correctly, pretty much just Muratic Acid to drop PH occasionally and add liquid chlorine as needed to stay within 5-10% of CYA?

So if I understand correctly, pretty much just Muratic Acid to drop PH occasionally and add liquid chlorine as needed to stay within 5-10% of CYA?
Those numbers appear to be quite good. :goodjob: Yes, stick to the recommended FC level noted for your CYA as listed on the FC/CYA Levels and yo should do fine.

More like 7.5 - 10% of CYA. I like to stay at 10% for a little extra cushion. Once you reach your target, I don't think it takes any more daily to maintain it. Your daily chlorine consumption should be the same regardless of what level you are at.

More like 7.5 - 10% of CYA. I like to stay at 10% for a little extra cushion. Once you reach your target, I don't think it takes any more daily to maintain it. Your daily chlorine consumption should be the same regardless of what level you are at.
As far as target, what should I aim for? 50 seems popular. I ordered a standards set as the "see the dot" method is somewhat subjective. Are there other CYA tests that work differently?

As far as target, what should I aim for? 50 seems popular. I ordered a standards set as the "see the dot" method is somewhat subjective. Are there other CYA tests that work differently?
Not really. They aren't very reliable. The dot test seems subjective but it really is the most reliable way to go.

The standard set is a good idea, I think. It'll let you know what you're shooting for. :) 50 is fine for CYA in a pool that uses liquid chlorine to chlorinate.

As far as target, what should I aim for? 50 seems popular.

Sometimes it depends where you live. Folks in the blazing sun of TX, AZ, NV and NM tend to keep it a little higher, around 50 or 60. Here in PA, I can go with 30 or 40. If you have a SWG, then its 70-90.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.