New pool owner.

Michaela161

Oct 13, 2020
Lexington SC
Hello all,
Our pool construction is officially finished as of last week. Now what? The construction company had a pool guy to come and set up everything, but I am not sure what to do..... It is a salt water pool with SWG, fiberglass, 12x25. It looks crystal clear. I checked pH and chlorine yesterday, pH was over 8, chlorine was low (0.3?). We will not be using the pool for now, since it is getting cold outside, but I was told to keep it running all winter and not to winterize, since the winters here are very mild. We live in Lexington SC. What do you all think? What should we do? Winterize? Hire a pool management company or try to do it ourselves? We never had a pool before so we have no idea...

Hey there Michaela, I'm right down the road from you and also have a fiberglass pool which we don't close. You also don't need anyone but yourselves handling the pool chemistry or care. It really is easier than you can imagine once you understand the whys and hows.

The most important thing you need right now is a way to test your water and then learn how to manage it. We can help you out there. I would suggest you reading a few articles I'll link, then come back here and ask questions.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

FC/CYA Levels

Recommended Levels

As for the test kit, I recommend and use the TF-100 sold by www.tftestkits.net and get the salt test version.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.