New pool owner!

Sep 4, 2018
Peoria/AZ
Hi there,
new pool owner here. Before moving into my house I had a pool guy come out to get it running. It was green and full of algae so he did whatever he needed to do to get it clear. I’ve been keeping up on the chlorine and using 1lb Chlorox pool and spa shock once a week (twice now) and 1 time after we went swimming because t was extra cloudy. ive also been maintaining 2-3 trichlor 3” tablets in a feeder and have the filter running every night.

As as of this morning my pool was crystal clear again, however I can’t get a chlorine reading. I’ve been using the Taylor DPD kit.
TC- .5
FC-0
PH- 7.2
TA-200 ppm
CYA- well over 100

i know the CYA is supposed to be much lower and the chlorine higher. Based on the research I’ve done I’ve seen drain/refill as my only option.

Can you please point me in the right direction? I want to get back on track but I’m not sure how.

Thanks in advance!

Welcom to TFP! :)

One of the experts will be along shortly I am sure. In the mean time I would follow this link to do a diluted cya test to determine your actual number.

Please explain how to dilute CYA test if over 100

Your FC should be at 10+ with a 100 cya, probably even higher because you don't know for sure what the reading is.
Here is link to cya / cl chart. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Use pool math to figure out how much bleach you need to add to get there. Pool School - PoolMath
I use the pool math app on my phone instead. It keeps a nice log of what has all been done.

I would also pull the trichlor tabs right away, they are adding to your cya issue. The only way to lower cya is to exchange your pool water with new water, which I believe you will need to do. Working with 100+ cya will be brutal even without having to slam, lots and lots of bleach.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum! :wave: Also make sure to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page and read/save those Vital Links below in my signature. Remember that once you have algae, you need to perform a SLAM Process using the proper amount of chlorine (or regular bleach) for your current CYA as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. To do that, you need the proper test kit, either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below). No doubt that if your CYA is high, say over 80 or more, a partial water exchange will be required to lower the CYA. CYA (stabilizer) increases with each tablet which is why we use regular bleach to control our FC level.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

NEVER use the blue Chlorox tabs or the shock that is sold right beside it. That is just my opinion but I can tell you from experience, I did that one year. I thought this is "Chlorox", it must be good. My water was green, cloudy, murky, anything but clear. So, I added more and the problems only got worse. Eventually I landed here on this site, read about the correct way to balance the pool and the truth about CYA and have been happy with the results. I am on my second summer of only bleach, borax, and baking soda.

Read the thread Texas Splash suggested, and to point out the obvious - when you do slam, slam with liquid bleach/chlorine with a fresh date and no other "pool chemicals" added. Don't be afraid to just get that chlorine up there and keep it there for a day or two. Better to go a few days without the pool and finish the season in clear water than to fight this problem all winter and not be able to use the pool until next summer.

Hi again,
so even though the pool guy that was here already did the SLAM I should do it again?

or do I just need to drain and replace the water to bring CYA down, and then use bleach to bring up th FC level to meet it?

thanks everyone! Super appreciate the feedback

The pool guy's SLAM and the procedure here are different animals. If you read the suggested links you'll see the difference. You need a more accurate CYA number to determine how much water for the drain/refill. After that you just use bleach. You have the correct idea but the devil is in the details. Reading up on the information here to get a better understanding of the process is time will spent up front. I wasted a lot of time, water and $ until I got my CYA under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.