New Pool Owner, Won't be there for another 5 Weeks. What to do?

orzsol

May 10, 2022
NYC Suburbs
Hi All!

Just bought home with pool. Pool is open and currently all at the right levels, but house will empty for about 5 weeks.
If it goes empty for the next 5 weeks, will I be facing a green pool when I move in?
Do I need to hire someone to come every week, every other week, etc?

Would appreciate any recs for a newbie!
Thanks!

How far away is it? Is it at all practical for you to stop by?

Go ahead and use this time to buy a good test kit, you're going to need it soon. Test Kits Compared

How far away is it? Is it at all practical for you to stop by?

Go ahead and use this time to buy a good test kit, you're going to need it soon. Test Kits Compared
Thanks! I wish. Over an hour and half away. I guess my only hope is to hire someone for the 5 weeks.
What kind of service should I be asking for?

In the meantime, the previous owner was nice enough to walk me through the TFP test kit. But still nervous about what kind of chlorine to get.

What’s the temp in that area? If it’s not blazing hot and you could find liquid chlorine I would bring the FC levels up to slam level or a little higher and it should last a few weeks.
If CYA isn’t too bad ( if they have a test kit hopefully not ) you could also get a floater and add a few pucks in it.

Congrats on the new pool, sounds like the previous owner took care of it.

I would be worried what a pool service will dump in it 🙄

What’s the temp in that area? If it’s not blazing hot and you could find liquid chlorine I would bring the FC levels up to slam level or a little higher and it should last a few weeks.
If CYA isn’t too bad ( if they have a test kit hopefully not ) you could also get a floater and add a few pucks in it.

Congrats on the new pool, sounds like the previous owner took care of it.

I would be worried what a pool service will dump in it 🙄
Thanks! He definitely did and was very excited to show me the ropes (still a bit overwhelmed though!). Right now around low 60s. Doubt it will get higher than 75 by the time I move.
Someone mentioned having someone nearby just come and shock it once a week. I have family nearby that can do something easy. Would you recommend that or just dump some liquid chloring every couple weeks until I get there. They won't be able to test levels or anything.

Thanks! He definitely did and was very excited to show me the ropes (still a bit overwhelmed though!). Right now around low 60s. Doubt it will get higher than 75 by the time I move.
Someone mentioned having someone nearby just come and shock it once a week. I have family nearby that can do something easy. Would you recommend that or just dump some liquid chloring every couple weeks until I get there. They won't be able to test levels or anything.
Yea if they can just add around a 1/2 gallon a week or 2 should be good enough until you get there. When my water is in the 60’s it barely uses any chlorine.
But don’t worry too much, if it gets green you can clear it up in a week

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.