New Pool Owner With ZERO Pool Knowledge

Everything was pretty intuitive, but the CYA test did not make sense. I did it 3 times to make sure. I could still barely make out the dot when the view tube was full. As I stated earlier, a 10 lb of "shock" was added to the pool by the pool company. I added a 5 lb of "Super Shock" and 8 lbs of BioGuard Smart Shock. At a minimum, shouldn't my CYA be like ~25?

Just to reiterate the test, i filled the mixing bottle up to the label with pool water, filled to the top of the label with R-0013, mixed together and let sit for 30-60 seconds. Mixed it again, and then poured the mixture into the CYA view tube. Did I do anything wrong? One issue I had is with the mixing bottle. Am I supposed to be able to pour the mixture out of the top? After I took the red cap off, I couldn't squeeze anything out so I unscrewed the cap and poured it that way.
The CH test starts pinkish, then might go purple, might go indigo blue, but ends at sky blue. It takes a lot of mixing. A whole lot of mixing. If it was purple at 7 drops, it probably would have been blue by 10. I'd repeat it. You have plenty of reagents, since CH doesn't need checking often. Just so you know.

The CYA water was at least cloudy when it hit the top, right? Call it 10 or 15.

You're supposed to snip that end under the red cap off to choose the size of the stream, for instance if you were using that little bottle for glue. I never use that cap myself.

It sounds like you're almost ready to SLAM. Make sure the pH is in range (What is it?) Add another 20 CYA in a sock in the skimmer and jugs away!

And just to be sure, for my size pool (25,000 gallons), to go from 15 CYA to 40 CYA, I'd want to add ~5 lbs of CYA? I'd hate to overshoot on my CYA.

And to answer your question, the black dot was gone when the tube was full in 2 of the 3 tests.

Ok I added 3 quarts of Muriatic Acid. How long should I wait to re-test? Or can I just start Slamming?

Since its ~8 PM, should I wait to start slamming until tomorrow afternoon when I have 4+ hours to devote to it? Or can I start it tonight, check it in the morning, and again when I get home? Sorry for all the questions! I don't want to screw up my first slam!

30 minutes between any testing or adding other chemicals aside from CYA (in a sock, either in a skimmer or in front of return). Verify pH is 7.2 +/- .1. Night SLAMing is great with lower CYA levels...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach to bring the FC level up to ~11 ppm. I checked after an hour and the results are as follows:

FC: 11 ppm
CC: 1 ppm

Does it make sense that after one hour of slam, the CC went from 5.5 to 1? I will check again in the morning.

FC: 2.5
CC: 7.5

Will raise back to SLAM level and monitor for the next few hours. It was rainy/cloudy all day so I can't imagine the sun evaporated much FC. Since I am soaking 4 lbs of CYA in skimmer, I'm going to change my CYA level from 25 to 30 for this SLAM. Does this seem correct?

Added 3.3 gallons of bleach, and tested after an hour:

FC: 10.5
CC: 2

I will check in another hour and add bleach as needed to bring back to SLAM. Pictures to follow! It could just be my imagination, but I feel like it is clearing up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.