New Pool Owner With Heater Questions

Gpep13

Dec 15, 2022
Parrish, fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello, new pool owner here. Just built new house in SW Florida and builder installed 11x31 pool (no spa). Didn’t have any choices but they used jandy pump, jandy filter and Pentair chlorinator. First off, I need to add pool heater. NG rough in already there along with electrical. I don’t think we want electric heat pump as mainly use heater in winter on sporadic occasions. I heard heat pumps when air temp down around 50 can’t warm up pool to high 80s/low 90s - is that true? We had 250k on 28ft round above ground in northern Ohio and it worked well. Looking for any thoughts on above and a good installer. Everyone trying to sell either heat pump or 400k heater. My gas meter for house is AC25O so only get 250k btu max. Appreciate any thoughts - thank you!

Welcome to TFP.
You have thought of all the right things. You are correct that your current gas supply can only handle the 250k BTU NG heater.
The 400K will heat faster but you will have some additional cost to put in a bigger supply.
It will take some additional plumbing to put in the heater but the heater suppler should be able to handle that.
You can discuss Pinch a Penny as they do supply and installation or maybe there is another local supplier in your area.
Good Luck.

when you get a chance, consider adding the description of your setup to your Signature, which will aid the experts to quickly tailor responses to your pool and equipment, and you won't need to repeat it in future posts.

An electric heater will heat your pool in FL - even in January and February. My pool is 12 1/2' x 24 1/2', and I have a Hayward HP 21404T. I keep my pool 88 degrees year round, and you're south of me. It runs more in the cold months (probably 3-4 hours a day), but works fine. Electricity is cheap in FL. I did the math and an electric heater is much cheaper to run than a gas heater. Either will work fine, but if going electric always get the biggest heater you can get. Going larger only costs a few hundred $$ more, and the bigger electric heaters are more efficient as well.

Welcome to TFP.
You have thought of all the right things. You are correct that your current gas supply can only handle the 250k BTU NG heater.
The 400K will heat faster but you will have some additional cost to put in a bigger supply.
It will take some additional plumbing to put in the heater but the heater suppler should be able to handle that.
You can discuss Pinch a Penny as they do supply and installation or maybe there is another local supplier in your area.
Good Luck.

when you get a chance, consider adding the description of your setup to your Signature, which will aid the experts to quickly tailor responses to your pool and equipment, and you won't need to repeat it in future posts.
Thanks for the info!

An electric heater will heat your pool in FL - even in January and February. My pool is 12 1/2' x 24 1/2', and I have a Hayward HP 21404T. I keep my pool 88 degrees year round, and you're south of me. It runs more in the cold months (probably 3-4 hours a day), but works fine. Electricity is cheap in FL. I did the math and an electric heater is much cheaper to run than a gas heater. Either will work fine, but if going electric always get the biggest heater you can get. Going larger only costs a few hundred $$ more, and the bigger electric heaters are more efficient as well.
Thanks for info! We have electric out there but not 50amp service which is needed for electric heater I believe. Difference between 250k and 400k is about 5-600 dollars. Thinking I don’t be penny wise and pound foolish and put in 250k. If I go with 400k ng then will likely have to increase meter size for more gas. I’m thinking have TECO gas company come out and measure flow with heater off and heater on and see with current meter. Does that sound right?
Thx for any and all advice!

Most gas companies will upgrade your gas meter capacity at no cost. They want you to use more gas.

Just check that the gas line size between the meter and heater is sized for 400K.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.