ButchW

Mar 22, 2022
Severna Park, Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm moving into my new house at the end of June and have my new liner going in around the same time. I'm going to order my test kits now so i have it. I'm going to order the tf-pro with smartstir and xl option. Is that a good start? Next question is the filter and pump haven't been run since summer of 2020. I was thinking about replacing all the o-rings ans gaskets in them. Would that be smart to do? 3rd question. Once fill it will be new water with no chemicals. I'm not sure how to go about getting chemicals in and balanced and or what order to balance it. Would love some help.

Hey Butch,

The test kit is definitely a great start. You'll love the smart stir.

You're in the best position to determine whether replacing all o-rings in the filter is necessary. It certainly couldn't hurt if the parts are easily sourced.

Getting your pool filled after a fresh fill is a fairly straightforward process. Have enough CYA on hand to raise levels to 30 PPM. Add chlorine to target level and have some muriatic acid on hand to adjust pH. With a vinyl pool, calcium levels are not important until they reach the upper range of TFP recommendations.

Once you get your test kit, test TA and pH of your fill water to give you an idea of what you'll need to do to get your pool balanced.

Spend some time studying up in pool school. Here's an article that may help getting your chemistry dialed in.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: ButchW
I wouldn't invest too much in advance at maximum a pump lid gasket and o rings for the 2 drain plugs in the pump housing. For all you know the pump is a dead horse and you need to replace. Also get some gasket lube in advance cuz that is always needed.

Reactions: ButchW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.