New pool owner, start TFP at end of season or wait for next year?

daum

Aug 30, 2022
Massachusetts
We're closing on our a home with a gunite pool and spa in the next couple of days. They have always used a pool service to maintain their pool and spa and I'm interested in doing it myself, but was curious if it is worth starting this late into the year (likely ~1 month left) or if I should hold off for the following year? I noticed some say that the test kits testing chemicals should be replaced each season, so wasn't sure if I should buy a kit now if technically I should rotate the reagents next pool season?

Will add more information on the pool type, size, etc. once we're in and I can get that information!

Thanks!
Daum

Hey Daum and Welcome !!! You'll be sitting pretty having all winter to absorb the basics. It's really simple stuff, but it's ALOT of simple stuff. Each time you read through, some more sticks.

Anywho, one thing you need to do this year is watch the service close your pool. Tip them $20 each upon arrival and they will be in a good mood for the homeowner watching them and taking 200 pictures of the process. They'll likely even give you a quick schooling on your system.

We can walk you through the pictures in reverse, to open in the spring yourself ($300ish saved). Then next year at closing, you watched it closed once, opened yourself once, and still have 200 pictures to remind you. Rodeo 3 is way easier than the first, and each one saves hundreds more. (y)

Reactions: Fruitygalore
Hey Daum and Welcome !!! You'll be sitting pretty having all winter to absorb the basics. It's really simple stuff, but it's ALOT of simple stuff. Each time you read through, some more sticks.

Anywho, one thing you need to do this year is watch the service close your pool. Tip them $20 each upon arrival and they will be in a good mood for the homeowner watching them and taking 200 pictures of the process. They'll likely even give you a quick schooling on your system.

We can walk you through the pictures in reverse, to open in the spring yourself ($300ish saved). Then next year at closing, you watched it closed once, opened yourself once, and still have 200 pictures to remind you. Rodeo 3 is way easier than the first, and each one saves hundreds more. (y)
Great idea, will do that!

Reactions: Newdude
Seems I may be having to dive into this no matter what as the sellers said they used a company to maintain it, which when I contacted them they said they aren't currently maintaining it and their maintenance program is full.

That said, I assume I should pick up the testing kit asap and try to see what is going on in the pool? Right now I just found some test strips, but I know those aren't accurate enough.

Find out if it's a salt pool. Both the TF100 and TFpro (my vote) have salt options which takes the salt test kit and puts it in your box.

The k2006C would need a standalone k-1766 kit added as a 2nd purchase.

I guess, too. It's a $30 kit full price. It's nice to save the $10 bundling it, but you won't break the bank if you need it after moving in. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.