Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
After maintaining my pool a few weeks and had a couple of questions. Hope someone can help.

1. I lowered my PH from 8.2 to 7.6 about 10 days using MA but it increased to 8.2 again today. I am trying to understand why. First I guess it is because the TA is at 150 which is high. To lower the TA, Pool Math suggests to lower the PH to 7.0-7.2 and aerate to increase PH. as well as in this link Do I follow that exactly? Because lowering PH from 8.2 to 7.2 would require quite 72 oz of MA, can I do that in one time or split into 3 * 24 Oz and add every few hours?

2. My pool does have a water fall feature which runs with the pump, will this keep increase the PH all the time?

3. Will the SWG stop producing chorine when temperature is lower than 60 degF?

4. I have two skimmers, the one located farther has much less suction than the one closer to the pump, how to adjust it or do I need to?

Thank you very much

After maintaining my pool a few weeks and had a couple of questions. Hope someone can help.

1. I lowered my PH from 8.2 to 7.6 about 10 days using MA but it increased to 8.2 again today. I am trying to understand why. First I guess it is because the TA is at 150 which is high. To lower the TA, Pool Math suggests to lower the PH to 7.0-7.2 and aerate to increase PH. as well as in this link Do I follow that exactly? Because lowering PH from 8.2 to 7.2 would require quite 72 oz of MA, can I do that in one time or split into 3 * 24 Oz and add every few hours?

To lower the TA you need to add the MA in one dose to get the pH down around 7.2.

The chart below illustrates the relationship and equilibrium level between various pH and TA levels. pH rises towards an equilibrium level to the TA. The more it is out of equilibrium the faster pH rises.

A TA of 60 is about the lowest you should go.

Relative_CO2_Out-Of-Equilibrium_at_Various_Levels_of_pH_and_Alkalinity.png

2. My pool does have a water fall feature which runs with the pump, will this keep increase the PH all the time?

Aeration causes pH rise. Running your waterfall causes aeration and contributes to your pH rise.
3. Will the SWG stop producing chorine when temperature is lower than 60 degF?

From Page 39 of the Jandy Aquapure Installation Manual:

Below 51°F (11°C), chlorine production is not permitted; operating the chlorinator in cold water might result in over-chlorinated pool water. If more chlorine is needed, activating the “Boost” mode will override this cold water feature allowing chlorine production for 24 hours of operation.

4. I have two skimmers, the one located farther has much less suction than the one closer to the pump, how to adjust it or do I need to?

Unless you have individual valves on each skimmer line you can't adjsut the suction.

To lower the TA you need to add the MA in one dose to get the pH down around 7.2.

The chart below illustrates the relationship and equilibrium level between various pH and TA levels. pH rises towards an equilibrium level to the TA. The more it is out of equilibrium the faster pH rises.

A TA of 60 is about the lowest you should go.

Relative_CO2_Out-Of-Equilibrium_at_Various_Levels_of_pH_and_Alkalinity.png

Aeration causes pH rise. Running your waterfall causes aeration and contributes to your pH rise.

From Page 39 of the Jandy Aquapure Installation Manual:

Below 51°F (11°C), chlorine production is not permitted; operating the chlorinator in cold water might result in over-chlorinated pool water. If more chlorine is needed, activating the “Boost” mode will override this cold water feature allowing chlorine production for 24 hours of operation.

Unless you have individual valves on each skimmer line you can't adjsut the suction.

Thank you very much. A follow up question, since I need to add 72 oz of MA to the pool at one dose, what is the proper way to do it? I premix using a 5 gal bucket, then dump to the pool?

Thank you very much. A follow up question, since I need to add 72 oz of MA to the pool at one dose, what is the proper way to do it? I premix using a 5 gal bucket, then dump to the pool?

Dont premix. You want to handle MA as little as possible.

Just step up to the deep end of the pool and pour it in. Then use your pool brush to stir the area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.