New Pool Owner - Previous owner only used Leslie's

Update #2:

FC = 7 (through the use of 12% liquid chlorine)
CC = 0
CH = 100
TA = 120
pH = 8.0 - 8.1
CYA = 60

Now that the CYA is within a reasonable range, I notice that I have too high of a pH value, too high of TA, and too low of CH.

My plan was to do the following (not sure on the order):
a.) Add 2lbs 2 oz of pH Down dry acid (based on pool math app)
b.) Add 45 lbs of calcium chlorine (based on pool math app and because the previous owner had left an unopened 45 lb container)
c.) Continue to monitor chlorine levels

Does this seem correct? Is there a particular order here?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Can you fill out your signature?
The CH depends on pool surface type. It is best to not use dry acid based on pool surface type and if you have a SWCG.

Reactions: wireform
Sorry, just filled it out.

Pool surface type is plaster, I don't have an SWCG. The article on Recommended Levels had the acceptable CH levels at 250 - 650 with ideal at 350-550.

I didn't see anything on not using the dry acid based on the surface type in the article on recommended chemicals, in this situation is that not advisable?

Dry acid adds sulfates to your water. They build up. Sulfates have the potential to destroy concrete (plaster) and metals. It is just not advised to use them unless you have some significant extenuating circumstances that you cannot use muriatic acid.

The CH level should be brought up to 250 ppm at least. Depends on your fill water CH and how much fill water you use.

Understood. I'll go with the muriatic acid.

For the calcium part where you mention the fill water CH, does that mean the amount of calcium chloride I need to add to get to 250 is going to be based on the CH reading of the fill water I used to fill the pool?

Last edited:
What Marty is saying if your CH from the tap water is in the high range of CH it'll come up gradually as you add water back into the pool from evaporation, splash out, backwash and the like. If it's not high he'd recommend to up it manually.

Update #3:
Retested today after slowly adding muriatic acid and calcium chloride over the last few days.

FC = 2.5 (Will add liquid chlorine this evening)
CC = 0
pH = 7.6
CH = 250
TA = 110
CYA = 60

The TA is still outside of the recommended range of 50-90, however I noticed in the "Lower Total Alkalinity" article that unless you have an issue with high CSI, you shouldn't begin lowering just that value. If my pH is current at an okay value, can I leave the level as is and just continue monitoring? Is the pool safe for swimming?

All parameters good but FC. Do your best to never let FC drop below minimum for your CYA.

TA will come down/maintain as you add acid to bring pH down from 8 to 7.6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.