New Pool Owner - Overwhelmed & Frustrated

Gopherboy128

Jul 5, 2022
Southwest WA state.
Little introduction/backstory- Last year, wife drug home a small Intex from Wal-Mart. It was fine. We decided we liked being summer-time pool people. We bought a floater and a bucket of chlorine tabs and let 1 tab a week float around, and that was fine and dandy. Had a net for skimming out leaves, dead bugs, etc. No problem. Added a 21" sand filter w/ 1.5HP pump to replace that stock cartridge filter that comes with the cheap AGPs. A year later, our child has grown and we wanted a bigger/deeper pool for all the neighborhood kids, relatives, friends that come around to be able to play/swim/float whatever. This year, got an Intex 32x16. Same sand filter/pump. Filled our new pool with the garden hose from city water for 2 days (approx 14,000 gallons). We are looking to swim until September, after that, probably time to start winding down.

July 5th, took 1st water sample to pool store to see what I needed to do to have our pool be nice and clean for the summer. They sold me everything I needed. Gave me a print-out from BioGuard, with a weekly plan and all kinds of good stuff. Sunday, I added my shock, clarifier and algaecide. Monday, took a sample in and they told me I had too much CL, not enough TA.... So, bought more stuff (12lb bag of baking soda, BioGuard Chem-Out) to fix all that. Now, after studying on TFP, I realize my CL level was fine for my CYA level of 63.

So, today, I did a water test, using my Exact EZ photometer. CYA was 79, CL was 2.75. Added TFP given amount of bleach to get FC up to reccomended range.

Part of what is frustrating me, is all the different "reccomended" water parameters. BioGuard, from my pool store says my water should be 1 way, I see Leslie's print-outs online for other owners with different parameters. The TFP app on my phone is telling me something totally different.

Questions I have now: do I need to shock the pool weekly? Should I have my 3" chlorine tab floating in the pool to keep FC levels above my CYA minimum? Our Intex return has an aerator built into it. We let our pump run 24/7 so the water is constantly being aerated. Is that bad?

For now, I am done with the pool store and just going to use the TFP app on my phone to get my water where it says to be.

If you read through all of that and got to this part- Thank you! Sometimes you just need to vent!

Reactions: Apsuhead
Welcome! :wave: Cutting the cord from the pool store, their over-priced product, poor testing, and bad advice, all starts with one thing - your own proper water testing. You must have your own TF-100 link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Everything you need to fix your water starts with accurate results. Once you obtain one, post a full set of test results and we'll be happy to coach you through anything. Lots of folks here to help.

Also be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page. Lots of great info there. For now, use the PoolMath APP to add about 4-5 ppm of liquid chlorine per day until the kit arrives. Don't try to do much of anything else at this point.

Questions I have now: do I need to shock the pool weekly?

Nope, not if you keep FC up where it should be. “Shocking” is something that exists to catch-up and kill algae blooms starting because people don’t keep their pools properly chlorinated, because:

Should I have my 3" chlorine tab floating in the pool to keep FC levels above my CYA minimum?

Nope. It adds CYA almost as fast as FC but the CYA sticks around while the FC doesn’t. And that’s why people need to “shock” the pool, because they have too little chlorine for their CYA and algae starts to bloom.

Our Intex return has an aerator built into it. We let our pump run 24/7 so the water is constantly being aerated. Is that bad?

I’m honestly not familiar with an “aerator” but it sounds unnecessary and like something that could boost up your pH. Tabs are acidic, and once they’re not used, pH tends to rise over time. Aeration makes that faster.

For now, I am done with the pool store and just going to use the TFP app on my phone to get my water where it says to be.

If you read through all of that and got to this part- Thank you! Sometimes you just need to vent!

I’m honestly not familiar with an “aerator” but it sounds unnecessary and like something that could boost up your pH. Tabs are acidic, and once they’re not used, pH tends to rise over time. Aeration makes that faster.

Intex factory return, it has an air intake on the outside of the pool, and it blows air and water back into pool. I have a Hayward "eyeball" return from my skimmer kit I installed, that I will be installing today. my #s are bad, and I am going to drain 1/3 and refill to help bring them down. We had the chlorine floater in the pool yesterday, not knowing it was adding to our CYA problem- which probably explains why we didn't get as much FC boost from the bleach as expected.

Screenshot_20220714-080326.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.