New pool owner need big time help

This is the second summer owning our pool as we just moved in last July. We have yet to use the pool as it has been off and on green to cloudy blue at times. After multiple trips to the pool store last year we could never get it right. First question I have is is my filter adequate for my use. It's an older ( I assume) posi-flo 100sq ft cartridge filter with a 3/4 hp pump. Pool store says that's my problem and I need to upgrade but obviously it has worked in the past or it wouldn't be there right? I will be ordering a k-2006 test kit to try and manage this on my own but is there anything I can do until then? Any help would be appreciated

Green is chemistry, not filtration. Period.

Even if the pump and filter are too small. the worst that happens is the water looks murky. More likely all that happens is that the filter needs cleaning too often.

I remember a couple years ago -- I wish I'd bookmarked it -- where someone left his filter on recirculate for a couple weeks. The chemistry was perfect but it lost its sparkle. He detailed how he raged at his wife to stop slathering the kids with so much sunscreen, insisted everyone shower first, on and on, and then found his mistake. Even with no filtration, the water stayed sanitary for a couple weeks. Once he started filtering, it all cleared up in a day.

Spend your money on a proper test kit. If the water is greenish, spend a little extra and get the TF100 instead of the K-2006. It comes with more of the FAS-DPD reagents. I'd recommend the XL option up front.

Then follow the SLAM instructions. You may take longer than most to filter out the cloudiness, but once the water is sparkling, your filter may end up sufficient.

Thank you for the replies. My thoughts were if the water were clear the filter would be fine so I agree with you on that even though I have zero experience to back it up. I had the water almost clear one time last summer to the naked eye but I had no test kit so I have no idea what the readings were. I will look into the better kit like you suggested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.