New Pool Owner Near Brisbane Australia

Hi guys,

I just recently bought a 24' Intex Above Ground Pool and set it up.
This is actually my second one but the first was the same pool second hand. Bought it 2 years ago just after Christmas. Had it all setup and ready for swimming but the night before swimming day we had a big rain and because of the second-hand lining it ripped and dumped 36000L of water all over ours and the next door neighbours yard. LESSON LEARNED.
So because I spent so much time doing it only to have it destroyed I haven't built up the courage to get another one until now.
Bought a brand new one and all is going well. I just got the ph stable for over 24hrs now. TA is still up around 190 and I seem to be going through a fair bit of chlorine but for now I'm putting that down to the heat, direct sun all day and the fact that 9 people use the pool at least once a day.

Hi there Diomarsa :handwave: welcome to TFP!

How are you chlorinating, and what chemicals are you adding?

Have you added stabilizer yet? Stabilizer is CYA (cyanuric acid) and that helps buffer the chlorine from the sun's UV rays which destroy chlorine. 9 people *will* use up a lot of chlorine!

Maddie :flower:

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: Aside from Maddie's questions, here are a few things that may help as well:
- Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

- Remember, the proper test kit (usually Taylor K-2006C in your region) is always a must. If you don't have one already, check out Kits Clear Choice Labs or this one: Taylor FAS DPD Test Kit Chlorine - SERVICE SIZE K-2006C $144.99

As always, refer to the links you see in our signatures for some quick shortcuts to valuable resources. Enjoy the new pool! :swim:

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas and thanks for the replies. I haven't added CYA yet. I have some to add to the pool but I'm a little scared in case I add too much right now.
I only have a 4in1 test kit I bought from the local pool shop at the moment so I can't test how much will be in there. We live out in a rural area and the only water we have is from a well or we have to pay for a truck to bring water, which we had to do to fill the pool, so it is a big deal to drain drain and refill.
I am in the process of finding a good test kit here in Australia.
I had a look at a couple of posts and eventually found the one Texas Splash mentioned.
I am just waiting until after Christmas to order it.
I absolutely love the Pool math app by the way. It is working wonders. That's what helped me get my ph down to 7.4.
As for the Chlorine usage, I am using liquid pool chlorine from the local pool shop. Seems to be much cheaper than bleach from the supermarket. About 1/3 the price. I have been using about 1.3L a day and by the next night it is all gone, just using dpd tablets to test at the moment, so just before we went away I did a second dose in morning to bring the level up while my brother looks after the Chlorine and ph until I get back tomorrow night.
I am finding a lot of leaves and debris in the pool as well which would use up the chlorine so I'm not all that worried. It is manageable until I get the proper test kit and can see what is really going on.

I do have a question about my dad's pool though. He has a SWG and the pool has a distinct taste of salt as well as what seems to be a green hue to the water. Not a algae issue so it may just be the light playing tricks but wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions. Is the colour and taste because of too much salt or is this the way SWG pools go?

Until you get CYA in the water your chlorine is being consumed by the sunlight very quickly. Use your pool volume and pool math and get 30 ppm CYA in your water soon.

On the SWCG, normally you should not taste salt, but, there are some SWCG sold in Australia that use higher salt levels. The green color is more concerning. Find out if he follows [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Also if any copper algaecide has been used in the past.

Welcome! I'm from Brisbane too. Our pool build is due to start early February. That's a huge a/g pool you have! The pool we're building is much smaller. You will get a ton of excellent advice on here. I've learnt so much already. The test kit that's been recommended to me is the clear choice lab. It's so hot in Brisbane atm. Probably hotter for you if you're rural. Do you have pics of the pool?

Mknauss
Sorry for not replying earlier, Christmas and all.
Dad doesn't look after the pool himself. He has a local pool guy come around and do it. I may just be over cautious thinking the guy isn't do a great job. The water looks nice and clear when there is direct sunlight on it but once it gets to the afternoon there is a very slight tint to the water. The pool guy said it was perfect just a couple of days ago. Again because of the salt taste I may just be seeing what isn't there.

Hi Riley00dog
Our pool IS massive. It's great fun in there. But don't worry that your pool isn't as big. If I got an in ground pool mine wouldn't be anywhere near as big as this one. My pockets don't go that deep.
The Intex pools are less than a tenth the price of an in ground one. Not as long lasting though.
Hopefully the pool build goes smoothly for you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

There were a lot of pools built here in the 80s 90s that look a bit green on their own because of the colour of the pebble. But you can always detect or rule out algae with this test, once you get your clear choice labs test kit: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Free-floating algae is pretty much invisible with the naked eye until it starts to multiply faster than you're killing it. By the time you see it on the walls or bottom, it's already a huge population in the water, which is why you need the test method.

Slight salty taste is pretty normal but varies from person to person. The clearchoice salt water kit includes a salt test, and you can usually find the SWG manual on the internet which will give you a range of salt level best for the chlorinator.

+1 to immediately getting 30 ppm CYA into your own water. It will stay close to 30 ppm for a fair while, maybe a month or so depending on overflow and splashout.

Congrats on the new pool. Have fun with it!