New Pool Owner - Low CYA and Algae

jlk1010

Jun 13, 2019
Long Island, New York
Hi everyone. New pool owner here! Just opened the pool in my new house and was met with some nice green algae and some interesting levels.

CYA - 0/very low...I still clearly saw the black dot at 30
TC - 0
PH -7.8
TH - 50 ppm
TA - 110 ppm

Filter = Hayward Perflex DE
Pool = 23,500 gallon; inground; vinyl liner

The pool calculator says I need 10 pounds of stabilizer, 56 pounds of calcium chloride, and 249 oz of bleach. I've been reading as much as possible about the SLAM process and that seems like an obvious next step but my low CYA levels are concerning (and confusing given the algae growth). Do I stabilize before slamming? Anything else I should check for/be aware of? Thank you in advance for any help.

-Jen

Welcome to the forum!
Before doing anything else, raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC. Report the results here.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

What I posted does not need to wait, do it now. Read it again, it is a 15 minute test. It is to see if you have ammonia in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.