Nov 13, 2022
Spring Branch, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,
New pool owner with an ocean blue pebble tec finish. I've been told to see algae might be difficult due to the plaster color. Any suggestions? Or is it just maintaining good water chemistry and frequent brushing and not worrying whether one can actually see algae?

By the time you see algae it is way too late.

Proper water chemistry following TFP methods keeps a pool algae free. You need the proper amount of chlorine for your CYA level to prevent algae. We follow the FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Mdragger88
Its all about water chemistry and keeping your FC high enough to be in range of your CYA. See the link in my signature if you need to see the FC/CYA chart.

In 3 years of pool ownership, I have never seen a speck of algae.

Its all about water chemistry and keeping your FC high enough to be in range of your CYA. See the link in my signature if you need to see the FC/CYA chart.

In 3 years of pool ownership, I have never seen a speck of algae.
Tks. I’ve looked at the chart but not sure if I completely understand the numbers. My current CYA is 50 which based on my pool gal my chlorine level should be 6. But if CYA gets out of hand, say 100, it shows 11 on the scale. Does a test kit even go that high? And with that high chlorine level, wouldn’t that be an issue with corrosion or other issues?

My current CYA is 50 which based on my pool gal my chlorine level should be 6.

With CYA 50 your FC needs to be 6 or above. FC can safely be as high as 20 (SLAM FC level) with CYA 50.

But if CYA gets out of hand, say 100, it shows 11 on the scale. Does a test kit even go that high?

That is why we recommend using the Taylor K-2006C or TFT Test Kits that have the FAS/DPD chlorine test that can test FC of 30 or more.
And with that high chlorine level, wouldn’t that be an issue with corrosion or other issues?

You need to learn about how CYA buffers chlorine and keeps a small portion as active chlorine. There is less active chlorine with CYA 100 and FC at 11 then with CYA of 0 and FC of 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.