New Pool Owner looking for ideal settings for Florida

I am on the first day of slam, checking it every 4 hours. My SLAM FC is 24, I am correct that I need to continue until I can maintain a reading of 24 overnight without it dropping below 23 right? I am asking because I wasn't clear if I do the OCLT every night until it doesn't drop more than 1ppm (regardless of reading) or if I need my reading to actually be 24 before I do the OCLT? Like if my goal end the end is to maintain FC 5-6, during SLAM am I trying to get it to hold a 6 overnight or a 24 overnight?
Thank you!

Once your pool water is crystal clear, you do the OCLT at or near SLAM level FC. Test your FC once the sun sets, then test FC again before the sun rises. If within 1 ppm FC, and 0.5 ppm CC or less, your SLAM is complete.

Reactions: FlGator68
Once I reach a new baseline and get the CYA and FC correct how do I use PoolMath to tell me the setting to best maintain the proper FC? I know how to use it to tell me how to get from 3 to 5 by setting the SWG at X% for X hours but is there any calc to determine what setting will be optimal to maintain a level? Or is it literally a SWG adjustment every week that will need to me made?

I test my FC every few days to see where Im at. Its kind of a moving target, depending on temperature, sunlight, usage. Ive got mine now between 40 and 50% for 12 hours a day, keeps my levels high...maybe higher than most would keep it, but I want to be on the safe side with FC.

It looks like by morning I will have completed my SLAM at 23-24FC. I know that I need to let FC come down on its own to my target so when do I start balancing the PH and other levels that have undoubtedly changed? Do I wait for the FC to come down or start the rebalancing right away? Also I assume I should wait to bring the CYA up to my target until after the FC drops? Thank you all for the help.

If you have passed the three criteria, let the FC come down to target range. Test pH once FC reaches 10 ppm or less. Start adding CYA now.

Reactions: FlGator68
Hey guys, my SLAM was very successful and I have been figuring out the correct SWG setting since.. getting close to solving that. There are two issues where I have questions:

1. Alkalinity has remained high, around 100, I reduce PH to 7.2 and it drops a little, to 85. How should I be doing it? Drop PH to lower alkalinity... then will PH creep back up or do I need to bring it back up? A little confusing.
2. My FC has remained at 9 or higher since the SLAM, still trying to get it down to 6. Today I noticed green algae in the pool, I forgot to brush last week. Is this normal with FC levels that high and I should just be brushing to prevent it or is there a problem? Everything else is balanced except the alkalinity issue and FC a little high.

Thanks for any help!

When your pH reaches 7.8 or 8, lower it to 7.4. Over time, your TA will fall. Do not chemically raise pH. Aeration will raise pH.
You should not be getting algae if you are maintaining your FC above minimum at all times using the FC/CYA Levels

Brushing is integral to maintenance. Doing so once or twice per week, especially during the summer, is critical.

When your pH reaches 7.8 or 8, lower it to 7.4. Over time, your TA will fall. Do not chemically raise pH. Aeration will raise pH.
You should not be getting algae if you are maintaining your FC above minimum at all times using the FC/CYA Levels

Brushing is integral to maintenance. Doing so once or twice per week, especially during the summer, is critical.
Thank you, aeration raising PH was the info I was missing. That will help me get it there.

Since the SLAM I have maintained CYA precisely between 75-80 and FC has slowly floated down from 24 to 10-12 over the last two weeks, checking both twice a week. Today FC was 9.5, lowest yet. That’s why I was surprised with the algae. I have been running the pump 12 hours a day on half speed (40gpm) but forgot to brush it last week. It’s been sunny and in the 90s here in Tampa for the last several weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.