New pool owner. Is there a reason no one uses chlorine tablets?

May 16, 2017
South Bend
I bought my 33' above ground pool 54" deep pool under the impression I would be using a hayward automatic chlorine feeder. It is inline. And I have read that everyone on here seems to be using liquid chlorine in one gallon bottles. Honestly I do not feel like messing with liquid. I am not concerned about buying tablets or adding them once a week. Also that level that creeps up and causes the issue of draining and adding fresh water isnt a big concern to me since my fresh water source is very cheap. Is there anyone out there using tablets still and can give me some tips on using the hayward autofeeder?

There are thousands of folks here who use pucks. They have learned the effect that pucks cause on CYA and have learned to use them judiciously.

Sounds like you have a grip on that issue as well so put 'em in the chlorinator and begin the season!!

Welcome.

As long as you understand the effect of the tabs on cya and why too much cya is bad its all good. Just pop them in the chlorinator following the manufacturers recommendations.

If refilling the water is more convenient for you then adding bleach, it's all good.

Tfp is about whatever works for you. Just make sure to use a polyquat algaecide so you don't go green when the cya gets too high.

Keep in mind that the time doing weekly shocks and drain and refills when needed will probably be more than the couple minutes every day or two to test and add liquid chlorine. Also those will keep you out of the pool when you have to do them.

If you don't like liquid, you could try calcium hypochlorite to chlorinate. It raises the calcium instead of cya. That's not good either but it goes up slower and generally the calcium hardness can get higher than the cya before any problems. You still have to drain to reset though.

Good luck.

Thank you so much Fingaling! That info is very useful. Well some of the pictures Ive seen on this forum...have like 40 empty bleach containers in the background. So I am just under the impression that I would always be buying and stocking tons of gallons of chlorine or bleach. But thanks for taking the time to write me that!

Having that many at once, is because they are fixing their pool after too much pucks and pool $tore advice. It's a one-time thing and after that it's just one gallon or so as needed to keep the pool crystal clear.

Pabeader, can I have an example? Like a gallon a week? 2 gallons a week? How many gallons is your pool? And I just opened my pool last week and filled with new water. Can I start using the liquid method now? Only been using pucks for 3 days.

If you can fill your signature with all the equipment and specs of your pool, we can steer you to the least maintenence routine for your pool. We may also suggest a saltwater generator. Yes you can start using liquid bleach anytime. Post some test results from your fill water. What test kit are you using?

Felipe

It.depends a great deal on use of the pool, sun on the pool, frequency of bleach addition, etc., but around 1/2 gallon a day when it's full sunny and the pool is getting used. No one likes to predict because you might need half that much or twice that much.

A salt water chlorinator might suit you as well, because they eliminate the hauling of chlorine, and don't add CYA or CH :)

But yep, tabs can work fine. Be sure to do your own testing with a recommended test kit (TF-100 or K-2006).

Thank you so much Fingaling! That info is very useful. Well some of the pictures Ive seen on this forum...have like 40 empty bleach containers in the background. So I am just under the impression that I would always be buying and stocking tons of gallons of chlorine or bleach. But thanks for taking the time to write me that!
Those are people dealing with a green pool.

My pool is 16000 gallons. I use roughly a quart of 12.5% bleach every day in the Summer. I buy bleach in refillable jugs that come 4 gallons to the case. A case is good for two weeks give-or-take.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I appreciate all of the helpful responses. My pool came with a start up kit which included tablets and not so accurate test strips. I will be ordering the more accurate testing method shortly. But so far running the chlorinator on level 5 out of 9. My strips show perfect. I may switch to liquid in the future.

Also, when you cover your pool do you just use the winter cover? Mine came with one. I have noticed alot of dirt getting in from our backyard renovation were doing. Can I use this cover or is there a different cover I should purchase?

The winter cover will keep the UV light that destroys chlorine out. It will also do a great job keeping debris out during your renovation. It won't do good at retaining heat, if that's a concern, and it's probably cumbersome to take on and off.

If you buy a solar bubble cover it will be easier to take on and off and will do better at heating and maintaining heat. But during your renovation it won't do well keeping stuff out of the pool.

Thanks Fingaling. Yeah I have a solar cover too. But having no reel right now it is a pain taking it off and on. 33' round sounded great at the time! Now Im noticing how limited I am on options with that 33' size. Thanks I will try the winter cover!