New pool owner in need of help please

I should have explained better. I did add the gallon of muriaic acid last night after these readings. I will take more readings tonight when I get home and hope to get my new water kit soon as I can now see how important it is. So my readings tonight should be very different I assume.

Sorry - sure you can use the 12.5%. A gallon of that a day is fine too.

If you have an Ocean State Job Lot store near you, they sell lower priced liquid chlorine from reports on the forum.

OK, so 1 gallon a day of the 12.5% super shock. 6 lbs. of CYA in a sock in the pool, I will hang it on my extendable rod into the water. I will bring a water sample again to get tested and see what that days and also use my strips. This is until test kit arrives. So NO muriatic acid right now. Sound correct?

Skip the pool store. We do not use that data.

The strip should show you a pH within reason. That is all that matters right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more question on vacuuming. I have just moved into this house 6 months ago so this is all new to me. The filter has 2 lines (1.5 inch PVC) coming into the filter that say skimmer 1 close, skimmer 2 far. Valves are both open. Then a 3rd PVC line labeled VAC which is closed. I assume one for each skimmer. The closed one should only be opened to vacuum? I believe it goes to a small fitting on the pool wall in the deep end. About an inch circle with a grated plastic cover on it?

Is that just to vacuum? So I would close both skimmer valves on the filter and open the vacuum line and vacuum? Then open back both skimmer valves and close the VAC valve? Or does the vac line say open all the time, I assume not. Thanks again.

Brian.

The vac line is for a suction side cleaner. To just use a hand held vac -- you want to us a skimmer plate or connect the vac hose directly in the skimmer. You would then adjust the skimmer valves to get sufficient vac suction.

Look into a robot for pool cleaning. Much better. Go to the Pool Cleaners forum for lots of discussion.

I have a fury bot getting a tune up that the previous owner left. So that vac line should be closed all the time when the pool is running and I am not cleaning? I would not put my vacuum hose into it and open the vac line and shut the skimmer valves? Thanks.

If your hose end fits in the vac port you can do that. All the larger items you vac will be caught by the pump basket. So be aware of that.

What is a 'fury bot'?

Please fill out your signature when you can. Makes it easier to help without having to search for your pool data.

Aquatic Dist Aquabot Bravo. They are in Mahwah NJ. You can take a look at the web site. Not sure how good they are. But, it was free so I am going to give it a try.

I have a round type plate fitting that fits on the end of the vacuum hose and goes over the skimmer I assume. Do I take the basket out and push that in? Or better to just put the hose into the hole on the bottom of the skimmer? Or put the hose into that fitting with the small grate over it in the deep end. It is suction when I open the VAC valve.

Should that VAC line be closed when in regular filtering mode and just open to VAC the pool? Thanks.

Before I got home last night my wife took a water sample to the pool store. Here is the readings;

FC 1.20
TC 1.24
PH 7.7
TA 214
Calcium hardness 171
Cyanuric acid 8

I added 6 lbs of CYA in 2 socks and hung them in front of the skimmers off off my poles. I added 1/2 gallon of super shock 12.5% which is all i had left. I will proceed as you recommended until I get my water test kit.

As per Pool Math it is telling me to add 1/2 gallon of chlorine. 1/2 gallon Muriatic acid and 6lbs of CYA which I did in the socks.

Sound about right? Can't wait for my test kit.

We highly recommend you do not add chemicals based on pool store tests. Wait for your test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.