New pool owner - help with SLAM

Markjc

Apr 21, 2022
Arizona
I recently bought a house with a pool and it started getting algae as soon as i moved in. Recommendation was to SLAM, bought a TF-100 test kit, got my PH to 7.2 then started the SLAM process. I started the SLAM process about three weeks ago but when I started the pool was only filtering through the vacuum, a backwash had not been performed under my supervision and I was testing the FC once every other day.

In the last week I have figured out how to have it filter through the main, started backwashing 3-4 times per day, testing the chlorine twice per day (best i can do with work) and keeping it around 10. I have noticed that it is difficult to keep it right at 10 because of the funky measurements it as for and my inability to get it exact, so sometimes when i measure it again, FC will be closer to 12.

Overall, the look of the water has not improved at all. When i run a backwash in the morning it dumps out a couple of minutes of very greenish water, the rest of the backwashes, 1pm, 5-6pm, and midnight all run very clear from the get go.

The filter has been running consistently for a few weeks.

I would think by now there should be improvements in the water color. Should i restart the SLAM process by getting my PH right by letting it sit for a certain amount of time then testing it again?

From my measurments the pool should have 14,000 gallons, CYE came in at 20, no chlorine in the pool when i started this and the PH was at 8.4. Hayward sand filter. If I'm missing anything please let me know and thank you for any help or insight you can offer!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    663 KB · Views: 16
That is some very green water - unusually green. Are you saying that only started after you moved in, or was it that deep green color already? Do you have any idea what was added to the water before or recently other than just liquid chlorine? Any empty containers laying around.

That is some very green water - unusually green. Are you saying that only started after you moved in, or was it that deep green color already? Do you have any idea what was added to the water before or recently other than just liquid chlorine? Any empty containers laying around.
So when first moved in it was clear with some small algae spots, the PH was at 8.2 and there was only traces of chlorine in the water. I have a theory that they put 20 shocks in it to get it clear for the showing but that is just a theory.

It is very green. I feel like if i got in it i might get super powers, so its tempting to say the least.

That green looks like copper to me is why I ask. If they dumped a ton of copper-based products in the water, it could do that. Do you see any dark stains anywhere? We discourage pool store testing, but this might be one time to get a courtesy test. Don't buy anything, tell them the water is fine, just grab your printout and leave. I'd be curious to know if it shows any copper.

If not, then we can help coach you through a SLAM Process some more and make sure we're not missing anything.

That green looks like copper to me is why I ask. If they dumped a ton of copper-based products in the water, it could do that. Do you see any dark stains anywhere? We discourage pool store testing, but this might be one time to get a courtesy test. Don't buy anything, tell them the water is fine, just grab your printout and leave. I'd be curious to know if it shows any copper.

If not, then we can help coach you through a SLAM Process some more and make sure we're not missing anything.
on the bottom of the pool there is some dark stains. I'll get that tested when i get home. If there is a bunch of copper in there, what do i do? Just curious...

I just went to my local pool shop and got a test done. Here are the results, no copper at all. Maybe it was just the way the light was hitting it, when I got home it wasn’t such a copper green. Pool people said it could be the phosphates?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 10
Pool people said it could be the phosphates?
That's Pool People talk. Blah. Ha. Well, their testing is always in question, and metals is no different. But if you believe the water is showing some signs of change, maybe we can move forwards with the SLAM. So do the following:
1 - Make sure the pH is lowered to about 7.2.
2 - Confirm the CYA. If it's 30, then your FC level need to be "12". If the CYA dot never disappears, then it's low and you should add 10 ppm worth of stabilizer.

But do your best to maintain the FC level of 12 for the SLAM Process. Follow that page carefully and let us know if you have any questions. We'll give it 1-2 days to see if the color improves or remains the same. If it remains the same or gets worse, it's probably copper, regardless of the store tests.

If it does end-up being copper, the only way to remove it is by a healthy water exchange. But we'll come back later to that if needed. For now, just follow the notes above and the SLAM Process. Keep us posted please. Good luck!

That's Pool People talk. Blah. Ha. Well, their testing is always in question, and metals is no different. But if you believe the water is showing some signs of change, maybe we can move forwards with the SLAM. So do the following:
1 - Make sure the pH is lowered to about 7.2.
2 - Confirm the CYA. If it's 30, then your FC level need to be "12". If the CYA dot never disappears, then it's low and you should add 10 ppm worth of stabilizer.

But do your best to maintain the FC level of 12 for the SLAM Process. Follow that page carefully and let us know if you have any questions. We'll give it 1-2 days to see if the color improves or remains the same. If it remains the same or gets worse, it's probably copper, regardless of the store tests.

If it does end-up being copper, the only way to remove it is by a healthy water exchange. But we'll come back later to that if needed. For now, just follow the notes above and the SLAM Process. Keep us posted please. Good luck!
Can the fc level be higher than 12? Also, if I needed to leave for a full day and night (Friday come back Saturday) is there anything I can do to not lose progress?

Can the fc level be higher than 12?
Certainly, if your CYA level is over 30 it's perfectly safe to do so as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. But if your CYA is low, don't go over 12.

Also, if I needed to leave for a full day and night (Friday come back Saturday) is there anything I can do to not lose progress?
Just do your thing and pick-up where you left off. No sense trying to go nuclear on the pool or anything like that. It's just a waste of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.