New Pool Owner - Green Pool!

Morning update pic, just after brushing. Cloudy blue, but there was definitely algae on the floor I brushed up for that chlorine to get breaking down.

Attachments

• D7F08705-79AF-4F27-AB59-FFAC7B02E20C.jpeg
    D7F08705-79AF-4F27-AB59-FFAC7B02E20C.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 16
  • EC150D00-F6AC-4B6F-AEE2-BF736B2F4E96.jpeg
    EC150D00-F6AC-4B6F-AEE2-BF736B2F4E96.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 16
Kenny,
The stuff on the floor is usually the dead algae that drops to the floor. Stirring it up just gets it back onto the water to get filtered out. I'd recommend vacuuming it out at once carefully and methodically ridding it for good. Best would be to get it out via the waste setting or worst case vacuum through the filter if you don't want to loose water and then backwashing from that point. This will get you to clear water a bit faster.

Kenny,
The stuff on the floor is usually the dead algae that drops to the floor. Stirring it up just gets it back onto the water to get filtered out. I'd recommend vacuuming it out at once carefully and methodically ridding it for good. Best would be to get it out via the waste setting or worst case vacuum through the filter if you don't want to loose water and then backwashing from that point. This will get you to clear water a bit faster.
I do vacuum after work every day, but didn’t have time this morning before work, so I figured brushing would be better than nothing for now, and what’s left will settle by the time I’m off work for me to vacuum up.

Generally I vacuum first, then brush the sides. I have a cartridge filter, and I don’t think there’s any waste setting for the vacuum or filter, so I just vacuum it into the filter, and clean the filter every couple of days (or sooner when the pressure was building up faster)

Since I’ve been able to see the bottom so much more clearly the last few days, I have been able to make sure I’m getting everything off the floor when I vacuum, and it’s definitely a lot less to vacuum each day. Same area to vacuum (the whole floor), but the algae is more spread out and thin.

Reactions: IceShadow
It’s raining a lot today, so haven’t been able to vacuum yet, but the water is so clear! A little cloudiness still, and some dead algae to vacuum up, but we are so close!!! I am so thankful for TFP!

Attachments

• E2A20D5B-3CBC-447D-8F87-C2FDB3B13BFC.jpeg
    E2A20D5B-3CBC-447D-8F87-C2FDB3B13BFC.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 58F2280A-6294-41BE-8190-801B850B1A7F.jpeg
    58F2280A-6294-41BE-8190-801B850B1A7F.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: wireform and jesper
Here’s a picture of the pool this morning! I checked with my brush and there is a very very light layer of dead algae on the bottom, so I’m going to vacuum that up today, and it should be gone (judging by the rate of improvement I’ve been seeing over the past week).

I’ll get an OCLT to make sure the SLAM is done, though it’ll have to wait until Tuesday because I ran out of Titrating Reagent for the FAS/DPD test and had to order more! Until then, I can use the powder at least to make sure it doesn’t run out of chlorine and add a few ppm worth at morning and night.

Attachments

• FAF0D148-6338-4C92-9C0A-297141A908D6.jpeg
    FAF0D148-6338-4C92-9C0A-297141A908D6.jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: jesper
And remember if you have swimmers today (Independence Day!), you'll need more chlorine than usual. Good job!!

And remember if you have swimmers today (Independence Day!), you'll need more chlorine than usual. Good job!!
Would it be safe to swim today? My sister is over and we really want to, but I don’t want to unless it’s safe! I know none of my levels were bad before the SLAM, and the water is clear now, but does the high chlorine level make it unsafe or would it be fine?

Would it be safe to swim today? My sister is over and we really want to, but I don’t want to unless it’s safe! I know none of my levels were bad before the SLAM, and the water is clear now, but does the high chlorine level make it unsafe or would it be fine?
As long as your chlorine is slam level or below for your cya, you can swim. Your pics show that its clear enough to see the bottom, great job getting yours green to clean!

Reactions: Kenny22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey all, another update. The pool has been crystal clear for a few days, though still some vacuuming needed each day. I got my refill of FASDPD reagent, so I am going to do an OCLT tonight!

It’s been nice to be able to vacuum it from the inside now that it’s clear. I forgot how wonderful it feels to be in a pool. It is so soothing, and I am incredibly thankful for you guys. TFP rules!

Here’s a pic of the pool I took after a short swim tonight!

Attachments

• C7242ECF-C5CB-48D1-B3B6-AE8118C72ECA.jpeg
    C7242ECF-C5CB-48D1-B3B6-AE8118C72ECA.jpeg
    618.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Love
Reactions: S-Merry and jesper
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.