New pool owner, first test with TFP kit

azswimmer1

Mar 24, 2021
Phoenix
Pool Size
New home/pool owner in Phoenix, just did my first test and here are the results. What would you suggest going forward? Can we make it throughout the season without draining- it’s starting to get hot here. 16k, previous owner had puck floater. Pool is clear, no apparent problems.

Water temp 78
Chlorine 5
Ph 8
TC 2.5
CH 625
CYA >100 (leslies/test strips around 150)
TA 110

Last edited:
Well, with a CYA of 100 or more it will be difficult to manage the free chlorine that goes along with it. To help you ID the true CYA, you should go the CYA test page HERE and do a diluted test starting at step #8.

When CYA or CH becomes too high, most in your area do a water exchange (if needed) before it gets much hotter to the exposed plaster. You may not have to empty your pool, but I suspect a large water exchange will be needed to lower the CYA. Easy math, a 50% water change should lower the CYA in half. It might also help with your CH.

Reactions: azswimmer1
As Pat said, easier to exchange some water now.
Your CH is not very high so this pool was drained not too long ago.
I would suggest doing an extended CYA test to confirm what level you are at.
If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.