New pool owner first fill test results.

Sask88

May 23, 2020
Saskatchewan Canada
Hello, I'm new to pool life and have been reading a lot. I just received my Taylor 2006 test kit and while filling my new pool I tested the water this morning. These are the results.
FC 0.2
CC 0
TA 130
PH 7.2
CYA didn't test as it should be 0

So I will get the stabilizer dissolving in a sock and add the chlorine at the skimmer once pump is circulating.
My question is do I lower the TA once pool is full (only about a foot to go) or is it not that high and I can let the PH rise and bring it back down with acid over time? Maybe aerate the water as well?
Thanks

Dont add the chlorine on the skimmer, add it in front of a return with the pump running. Dont worry about TA just yet, it will come down with acid additions. What type of pool you have ? vinyl or plaster? What is your CH level.

Reactions: splashpad
Hello, I'm new to pool life and have been reading a lot. I just received my Taylor 2006 test kit and while filling my new pool I tested the water this morning. These are the results.
FC 0.2
CC 0
TA 130
PH 7.2
CYA didn't test as it should be 0

My question is do I lower the TA once pool is full (only about a foot to go) or is it not that high and I can let the PH rise and bring it back down with acid over time? Maybe aerate the water as well?
Thanks
Welcome and well done!

Leave your TA until you start noticing your PH rise. It looks like you are off to a great swimming season!!

So I will get the stabilizer dissolving in a sock and add the chlorine at the skimmer once pump is circulating.
Try to suspend the stabilizer in the pool (preferably infront of the return. Be sure to slowly pour the chlorine INTO THE POOL also at the return (water coming into pool) to aide in distrubition

So I understand sand I just vacuum out later.
I added 26 oz if chlorine and 2 lbs of stabilizer as per pool app. Second test results are as follows.
FC 2.5
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 60
CH 220
So TA went down and my PH stayed the same. Does this seem right?

Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

Hello again. Just want to double check things. I just did another test.
FC 2.2
CC .2
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 60

My PH has not changed at all. Just wondering if I should be trying to raise it?
I just added 45oz of chlorine as per pool math. Everything else seems to be fine.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello again. Just want to double check things. I just did another test.
FC 2.2
CC .2
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 60

My PH has not changed at all. Just wondering if I should be trying to raise it?
I just added 45oz of chlorine as per pool math. Everything else seems to be fine.
Thanks
FC needs to be raised, anytime it is less than target FC for your CYA level: (reference chart here FC/CYA Levels)
CYA (Stabilizer)Minimum FCTarget FCSLAM FC
6057-924
That is good on your PH, you don't big swings on the PH, once you guys are swimming/in the pool, the PH will come up :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.