New pool owner, fighting algae after a winter uncovered

Ok - this morning, the levels are all about the same (according to my cheap-o strips). Good thing about today - it is extremely cloudy and cool.

The plan for today is to bump up the pH, and shock/scrub/BW

One question - the pool lady sold the wife a bottle of algaeside, and instructed her to add it this morning. What do we do with this $18 jug of stuff now? Use it? Sell it?

Tony

So, is it ok to use the 'shock packs' (granular) to bring the FC up, since we already have them on-hand?

I am going to try to get everything off the bottom today (if possible). Cleaning the bottom 'blind' is a pain in the rear. My visibility is getting slightly better, but still lose sight of the blue net at about 12 inches deep.

Also, I have the TF100 on order - hopefully FedEx gets it here before Wednesday.

So, is it ok to use the 'shock packs' (granular) to bring the FC up, since we already have them on-hand?
Yes, but they will add either calcium or CYA to your pool. Tell us whether it is Cal hypo or Tri chlor and let us know your Current CH level and CYA level

duraleigh said:
Yes, but they will add either calcium or CYA to your pool. Tell us whether it is Cal hypo or Tri chlor and let us know your Current CH level and CYA level
Or it could be dichlor.

Keep digging out the junk, it is a pain, but that organic stuff will eat up your chlorine meant for the algae in the water.

Also, my current levels (according to my test strips) is:

TH=250
TC=2..5
FC=0
pH=6.2
TA=0
CYA=0

I do not trust these strips, so for reference I am adding the results from the pool store water test from yesterday

FC=.06
TC=1.27
pH=6.92
CH=103
TA=45
CYA=32

I have a sock of CYA by the skimmer, and I added borax this morning (following the pool calculator) to bring the pH up (based on an estimation of pH @ 6.8)

Hi Tony, I used the Aqua Chem shock last year in large amounts because I already had it on hand. It raised my CYA to over 100. I had to drain water from the pool to lower the level of CYA. Water here is quite expensive. I still only got it down to 86. Consequently needed a lot of bleach. I am hoping that when I add water this year opening the pool it will be down to 65 or 70. My advice is stay away from the pool store shock if you can. I believe if I remember correctly that each pound of the aqua chem raised the CYA by about 5 . So...I am sticking with bleach and I gave away what I had left to someone who still believes in Pool Store methods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok - the super-overcast day is definitely helping my fight today.

Today, I have scrubbed/BW/brushed bottom (to get any leaves).

I added 2 boxed of Borax (@ ~noon), and 2 packs of pool essentials shock (trichloro-s-triazinetrione)(@~12:30)

Just took another sample;

TH=300
TC=10
FC=8
pH=6.9
TA=80
CYA=<10

...Still plugging along.

Keeping the readings about the same. Vacuumed more to waste today - doesn't seem to be much left on the bottom (still too cloudy to see).

The water is still murky, but not green. Need someone to tell me to keep on keepin' on. Getting a little anxious to see a change :hammer:

Tony

Yep keep on going! You are using strips right? It may take longer using them to get this done, but soon you will have the accurate FAS-DPD test in the tf100, and then you will be more efficient!

Make sure you keep you FC above the minimum shocking value of 10 ppm for 10 cya per poolcalculator.com. I would avoid the trichlor and just us bleach/liquid chlorine for shocking right now. You do not want to add any more cya until you get your tf100 and can double check it's concentration.

Have you read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Your ph is really low, did you get that 6.9 before or after adding the borax and how long? Typically we say not to adjust ph while shocking, but since you are using trichlor, I would raise it up to 7.2-7.4 (and stop using the trichlor for now).

Using the strips, but have zero faith in them.

The pH has actually dropped a little, to 6.6 (according to the strips). We've had about 2" of rain and no sunlight over the past 2 days, which has helped me keep water in the pool for vacuuming to waste.

I am looking forward to getting the test kit. Even if my CYA is crazy high, at least I will know what needs to be done.

Still trying to get control of this thing, but might only be treading water - so to speak :)

While I don't believe a single thing the strips say, I do *think* that I am keeping the water at shock level based on the visual clues read on the board. The water, however, has not became any clearer since Saturday. It is not green, but not clear - with a visibility of about a foot deep.

Been BW and scrubbing, along with running the pump 24/7 for the entire time. We've had clouds / rain / overcast for the last few days. Now, we are foretasted for bright sunshine for the next several days.

I have added Borax as well, but (according to the strips) my pH has dropped even more. Here are my readings from an hour ago (FWIW):

TH=250
TC=>10
FC=>10
pH=6.2
TA=0
CA=0

I am looking forward to my TF-100 to show up on the doorstep. Is there a 'here's what to do with your pretty new test kit when you get it' thread out there? I want to make sure I do the right thing with it from the start - getting the right info posted here, and making sure I have enough inventory of chemicals on-hand to continue this fight.

Tony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.