New Pool Owner Equipment Questions

Optics,

How often do you backwash your current sand filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.
So I moved in on Halloween, and just recently noticed that the pressure + flow of the system was off earlier this month. According to that timeline, it took ~4 months for me to backwash (mainly because I didn't know how/when I needed to until I HAD to).

So I've noticed that after the first 24 hours of running the pump continuously, a backwash was needed the following day. The same GPM of 20-25 jumped from the upper 100's of watts to around ~350. After backwashing, we are back to silent and efficient operation. Question for the folks here, I am thinking of going cartridge for filter, is there any big difference between a Pentair CCP 520 and a Waterway Crystal Water 525? It seems that the Waterway is a cheaper brand, but filtering ability seems as if it would be close to 1 to 1 with the Pentair. I'm looking to save on this cost as long as there's a negligible difference between these two filters, so that I can add a SWG a little later on. (Followup question on SWG - does my pump, intelliflo3, with the IO board, allow for me to hook up to power/control straight from the pump ie. no wiring to anything else?)
Thanks a ton team!

Optics,

If your filter quickly clogs up, for no obvious reason, AND backwashing temporarily fixes the problem, then most likely you have algae, even if you can't see it yet.

Keep in mind that algae is a chemical issue and not a filter issue.. Filters do not keep you from getting algae.

I have two rent house pools that currently have DE filters that I keep hoping will die... When they do, I plan to use the Waterway 525. It looks like a good product to me, you are just not paying for the brand name.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.